Coding strictly on a phone?

Greetings all.

I am learning that it is important to code one’s sites to read mobile first and a lot of people are doing this.

I am wondering, do very many designers just use their phones to code altogether instead of a laptop or desktop? What would be the pros and cons of both approaches in comparison?

Thank you in advance for any answers.

Regards,
Dwayne Brock

1 Like

I never heard of anyone coding on a phone, nor do I think its worth the trouble.

• Coding with an on screen keyboard is a nightmare. Imagine trying to type a <div> tag, it would require a few extra taps just to get the greater-than/less-than signs.
  • The tooling just isn’t there. On a computer you can get VSCode, nodejs, most browsers, and can use DevTools. From the browser DevTools you can change the view-port so a site acts like your viewing it on a mobile device. This is the approach most developers take, as there are basically no drawbacks

It is possible, but you will have to jump through a lot of hoops and you don’t get much. Your much better off "getting the phone on your computer** via browser dev-tools, or emulators.

3 Likes

Thank you for your response, Brad. That was what I was thinking, but I am a large believer in experiences first to settle an issue.

To use devtools to test something on a phone, see this post:

I remember reading about someone from Africa who started coding that way. I believe he is very successful now. https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-i-went-from-programming-with-a-feature-phone-to-working-for-an-mit-startup-40ca3be4fa0f/

1 Like