freeCodeCamp Challenge Guide: Uncomment HTML

Uncomment HTML

Problem Explanation

The comment topic is often a bit confusing in the beginning.

Let’s look at an example:

<!-- This is a commented block. 
It doesn't matter how long it is, if it has <h1>HTML elements</h1> in it or if it develops
into a
few lines,
everything between the first less than sign followed by exclamation mark and the last greater than sign is commented out -->

You can use comments in-line too: <!-- Note about html goes here so you can remember why this is here --> and here it is!

The only thing to consider is that when you see this set of characters <!-- everything from there is commented out until you see this -->; these are the opening and closing tag of an HTML element!

UNCOMMENT
Uncomment means to take things out from the comment text: to uncomment the h3 element of the following sentence (which is all commented out):

<!-- <h1>Comment header</h1> <h3>Comment subtle</h3> <article>I am the text of the comment</article> -->

is as easy as:

<!-- <h1>Comment header</h1> --> <h3>Comment subtle</h3> <!-- <article>I am the text of the comment</article> -->

Notice how a closing comment tag (-->) has been added before the h3 HTML element to match the opening comment tag at the start of the sentence? We also added an opening comment tag (<!--) after it to match the closing tag at the end; in this way you have created two inline comments (one before the h3 element and one after).

If you want to uncomment everything is even easier:

<h1>Comment header</h1> <h3>Comment subtle</h3> <article>I am the text of the comment</article>

Just remove the opening and closing tags of the comment.

Commments are very valuable because it helps you remember the purpose of a section of code. You can use a many comments as you like. In fact, comments are a sign of careful and thoughtful coding.

18 Likes

I’m stuck on this part of the uncomment HTML Be sure to delete all trailing comment tags, i.e. -->.

10 Likes

Hello @mb438. @camperbot simply means that you should delete both the end and start of the comment.

delete:

--> and finally <!--
7 Likes