Help us build Version 7.0 of the freeCodeCamp curriculum

I think it’s a great idea. I’d love to help out with something in the APIs and Microservices cert or Information Security and Quality Assurance cert.

2 Likes

I love this idea! I have been working through fCC on and off for about a year and a half. I am currently in my 5th year as a Spanish teacher at a local high school where I live. In many ways the best practice for teaching a world language and learning computer languages is identical (daily immersion, try, fail, and try again, if everything works you have not tried hard enough or challenged yourself enough, learning comes from doing not from watching and so on) I love these changes and recommend them. Project-based learning can really make fCC stand out (more than it already does) from the other innumerable resources out there.
I have been wanting to write about this for some time but as always “some time” never came until now. Though I still think fCC is already far better than the majority of free (or even paid) tutorials and the like you find out there, a project-based simplified (yet challenging) approach will help put the language into real world context. fCC already does an excellent job at balancing definitions, theory, and practice. However, by providing these new frameworks (no pun intended) within which each of us can use what we are learning will extremely beneficial.
I currently started looking into internships and contract work to switch out of my education career. However, with my education background I can say that this news is exciting and is how things should be taught. These changes will help us acquire and absorb the practicality of the language which will make it easier to apply it in our own projects and work experiences.

4 Likes

[https:/uploads/default/optimized/3X/5/3/5335a47fe7adf18a00de807e0bd37a0227efb8a8_2_690x274.jpeg]
How about adding something like that to the projects too? It would be a challenging, inspiring and very funny thing to level up, get “powers” or :medal_sports:o “badges” to meet objectives, things like that…

4 Likes

This is incredible!!! Ive always said and suggest that the best way to learn is to build something… I am so excited about the potential and possibilities with this. Im going to check out the repo and do my best to help in any way I can.

Can’t express how excited I am :smile:

2 Likes

Hi , My name is lavan. I work as java developer in a local company in Austin TX.
I would like make some contribution.

2 Likes

I love the idea.

I definitely want to help on this!

2 Likes

I’ve been going through the below React tutorial on scrimba.com. I feel like this might be one of the best coding tutorials I’ve ever done because it 1.) forces repetition 2.) is project focused and 3.) gives you freedom to start editing and creating whenever you want. I don’t know how hard it would be for freeCodeCamp to offer a similar experience to courses on scrimba, but having this kind of real time learning approach could be very cool. Maybe you could just use scrimba for certain lessons in the future.

7 Likes

Totally looking forward to this!

4 Likes

I think this is definitely a step towards a better overall experience. Having completed approximately half of the curriculum (V6), I can definitely resonate with smoothing out the difficulty aspect. I probably started around V5 and when I went from challenges to projects, I completely froze. I had no clue how to tie HTML, CSS, & JavaScript together to build one of the projects. It wasn’t until I took 2 online courses (both were project based) that really cemented the concepts and how everything is tied together by manipulating the DOM. Only then did I feel comfortable enough to attempt some projects (though I still struggled, but I was able to complete them well). I felt like the big picture was missing when going through the challenges and shifting to the projects.

I believe my views are like this as I tend to learn best by doing and love learning in a practical way (as in learning by building a project so I can later apply that knowledge to build my own. It is still a struggle this way, but an easier one).

For #2, I just redid exercises/lessons if I needed more practice and that definitely helps with repetition/retention. The second or third go around, the exercises seem simple/easy.

I’d love to help.

5 Likes

I will surely where i can

3 Likes

I’m thrilled about this. This is exactly right, exactly what I need.

2 Likes

Hey @QuincyLarson! I would love to contribute to this new version of fCC curriculum! I am quite a beginner but I feel like I owe fCC so much!
Let me say that as a student and not having a IT background (I am a translator), I found the lessons quite easy to accomplish, but the projects are quite difficult. I felt that the instructions used in the lessons were one and then in the projects I read the instructions and I was like…What? And also, I was not familiar with Code Pen and I didn’t know how to start because we do all the lessons in one environment and then the project are in a different one. But okay, I found the help I needed in the forum, I am progressing and I know that in real life is like that. Count me in!

5 Likes

I love this! I have been using fCC for a year or two and have found the projects to be unique on the internet. Too often I find other resources are just “fill in the blank”. By the end of the course, I have no idea where to begin! However with fCC, the open ended projects are amazing. I think moving the lessons to be more project based will also be incredibly meaningful.

One thought on v7: I’d love for there to be more of an intro to test driven development. Particularly if that’s how the projects will be structured. Perhaps learners can start by actually writing a test or two.

Look forward to helping out!

6 Likes

I haven’t yet contributed to fCC beyond raising an issue or two, so would love to get involved. Commenting on a few GH issues now.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback on Scrimba. We love the tool, and are working on making Scrimbas for the entire curriculum. I encourage you to record Scrimbas, too. They’re fun and potentially helpful to a lot of people out there who may be stuck on the same things you’ve just gotten past.

2 Likes

:raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::clap::clap::clap: Awesome!!!

I love the idea behind that new version of the curriculum :grinning:
thank you so much for your efforts

2 Likes

Great idea! I’m all for project-based learning. And seems like the perfect time for me to finally start contributing to FCC!

2 Likes

Would love to help contribute to FCC! Currently working through the APIs and Microservices certification, but am excited to help with the new project based platform.

2 Likes

I just stumbled upon react.games today (this site teach react hooks by building games) and I’m thinking of checking fcc forum after a year :slight_smile:. This is a great approach to learn something new, by building the game, app or anything just for fun.

I have just one suggestion about this, why don’t swap the “learn” project with the required project? I personally never made much of this “learn” project, like this role-playing game (Dragon Repeller by beaucarnes, I :heart_eyes:, just like Zork but you don’t need to type it), I think the logic behind it is harder than “required” project like palindrome checker, but I might be wrong.

Finally, I would like to contribute more to this Seven.0 (The react and redux projects is challenging).

(Please don’t put me in building TypeScript game :smiling_imp: )

2 Likes