I think I'm gonna quit

programming isnt for quitters bro. as far as i can tell getting stuck and frustrated is half of programming. The other half if is figuring out how to do something you didnt know how to do before. It took me almost 4 years to finally get the hang of javascript.

8 Likes

you don’t know how relieved that makes me feel.
thank you so much for sharing

1 Like

wow :sweat_smile:… I gotta stop complaining. thank you

1 Like

I guess I’m not alone.

@ArtemPetrov @EddieCornelious
@psyperl
@kerafyrm02
@vipatron … thanks for the link
@Tirjasdyn

thank you all so much…

3 Likes

My advice to you is to fail faster.

Don’t see failure as a negative thing but as an opportunity to learn. If you can’t solve on your own that’s fine! Take the time to check the solution, dissect each part that you don’t understand and try to solve it again on your own. Even if you immediately can’t solve it, on each iteration you’ll get better and better.

Also, if you get stuck or don’t understand something don’t be afraid to ask for help (This whole forum is here for that! :D), the important part in FCC is to learn what you did not know, not to judge yourself in what you current knowledge might be at.

Experience will get you there

4 Likes

I started having trouble too.

then i decided to take notes. I opened up a google doc and wrote a summary for every challenge. Then you can look back through your notes. rewriting it is a good idea in memorizing it.

Coding is a lot about research. Do not feel bad you have to do a lot more then usual when first starting out.

Also look for some inspiration. I constantly look around at various webpages (see tools below) and break it down.

I ask questions if i do not know what something is. When asking question, ask them to break it down like your are 5.

FCC also has a youtube channel on the basics.

My tools: https://codepen.io/Mike-was-here123/post/check-out-these-sites

Also check out my basic ES6 study guide: https://quizlet.com/362094309/fcc-es6-study-guide-flash-cards/

Edit: I wrote a guide @ Helpful Tips For Improving Your Webpage

2 Likes

Hey, don’t worry, struggling is part of the process. In fact, you should expect to struggle, not because you can’t do it, but because algorithms in general are difficult, because our brains don’t usually think that way.

Trust me, I used to absolutely SUCK at algorithms. I was so bad at them that I couldn’t even get through the basic ones without looking at hints or solutions. But, eventually I was able to complete the basic ones on my own without looking at hints (and I wouldn’t look at solutions at this point, since that would only be cheating myself). I restricted myself to only looking at MDN docs for concepts like manipulating strings, arrays, etc, and I was able to do it.

I still struggle on the intermediate ones (I’ve only solved 7 on my own so far). What I’ve come to realize is sometimes you have to take a break and do something else. For me, I would try to solve some algorithms, and once I felt that I’ve hit a wall, I would work on projects or the next certification. Then, when I felt that I wanted to do something else, I went back to the algorithms. It’s funny, I forget which algorithm it was, but before I struggled so hard trying to figure out why my solution didn’t work. It was driving me nuts. It was only after coming back to it after sometime that I was able to solve it easily. It was to the point where I laughed at myself saying “how the hell did I do that?”. And trust me, I’m no genius. Sometimes I struggle hard when learning something new to the point where I feel stupid.

My point is, don’t give up. If you feel like you’ve hit a wall solving algorithms, and you feel like pulling your hair out, step away and proceed to the next cert or build some projects and come back to it later. You’ll surprise yourself.

Also, I’ve come to realize that a huge part of becoming a web developer is learning how to work through self doubt. I can’t tell you how many moments I’ve had where I’ve felt depressed because I couldn’t solve something or I couldn’t understand a concept. It’s OK to have those feelings. Just don’t stop and keep going. Take breaks. Hell, sometimes when you’re so frustrated you have to call it a day. But come back to it the next day. You’ll make progress, trust me. Just don’t stop! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I got burnt out after doing algo for a month too.
Every day, 4 hours of algorithms challenges made me really nervous.

So I had to take a break. After a month of “no coding at all”, I went back and start to build my personal project.
I built these two sites, one with bootstrap one with vanilla CSS.
I had a ton of fun doing it, at the same time had learnt a lot.

My suggestion is take a break. Do something that interests you. Algorithms are important, but you shouldn’t solely focus on one thing. Anyone is gonna get burnt out if you ask them to do algos day in and day out.

Watch this video too.

If you get burnt out when doing algo is because you are doing too much algo.
Take a step back, breathe, and diversify your skills, build something that is fun to you.

5 Likes

yeah, thats the thing, taking a break can be very difficult, because you’re thinking “O, there isn’t much time”. “O how can I learn this faster” and sentences like that.

But, I’ll stick to this advice.

I’m gonna take little break days in between.

thanks for the video.

2 Likes

@QuincyLarson changed this category to - You Can Do This.
Thanks Quincy. Very encouraging.

1 Like

I felt the same thing, when i was working on a project for my company, although I am not a full web developer, i am learning step by step, i spent 4 days trying to figure things out, until i found out what i was doing wrong. 4 days in a piece of code until i figured it out, and then move on the next part, resiliency, patience, and desire to learn are the key. Don’t give up.

2 Likes

Also, someone gave me another great resource for learning, a cheatsheet!

12 Likes

I haven’t seen this yet, thank you.

1 Like

You are one of a kind. i found myself in same boat as the guy and you just solved the puzzle. Thank uou for coming out real.

I think the answer to “taking a break” is:

1. No longer than a weekend (two days, even if it isn’t a weekend).
  2. Try working on something else instead of the thing that has you slamming your head against the wall. Stuck on a problem in FCC? Try CS50, or do a Kyu 8 challenge on codewars.

Personally, I got a little demotivated by a problem recently, and yesterday I went to my local FCC meetup. Explaining what I was doing verbally to other campers jiggled me loose where I was “stuck.” One solution came from me explaining how I could handle an assumption (edge case) I had purposely ignored, and the other came from an employed camper who was one of the hosts asking, “why can’t you just use an svg?,” and me replying, “instead of the div I’m currently using?” I googled the right thing, found a tutorial immediately, and groaned because of my previous tunnel vision. Working with other human beings at fixed periods (even over video chat/screen sharing) can be such a huge boost to productivity and motivation.

1 Like

Your first point is exactly what rubber duck debugging is for
It should be more widely publicised

1 Like

That is exactly what I did. I was able to finish the Javascript section and half of front end libraries section. But when React was introduced I understood that I just lack basic CT education. So, I took CS50. It is really hard and demanding. I even had to take a month break to read a book on C programming language because I couldn’t finish homework. But after CS50 I learn faster, essentials are important. Very good piece of advice!

2 Likes

Today I learned a new term. I wonder if “cat debugging” would work, or whether the target audience would just kinda wander off mid-explanation?

Well, running behind the cat would work as “doing something else” so that your brain would have time to elaborate the problem subconsciously XD

1 Like

If you quit, you will just have to start something new and if it pays well it will be hard also. Will you quit the next thing and the next?

“Do what is easy and your life will be hard. Do what is hard and your life will be easy” - Jim Rohn.

1 Like