Stockchecker project feedback

Hey guys, here is my Stockechecker project. Tell me what do you think about it.

app
github repo

Works well, no favicon?
Please add the test suite script to run tests on your project.
<script src="https://cdn.freecodecamp.org/testable-projects-fcc/v1/bundle.js"></script>

Your app looks very nice.
But, it seems like you’ve almost completely consumed your own API. In other words, it seems as if you’ve basically made an app that could’ve been completely done without any backend work. I say ‘seems’ because I see that you do have an open API when, for example, I paste /api/stock-prices?stock=goog onto the end of your project page URL to get a json response, as was required in one of the user stories.

Basically, without any documentation, it’s not easy to tell on the surface what you’ve done for this project.

Have a look at a post I made regarding the fCC backend projects and see if you can get a better idea of what these projects are for.

Thanks. I’ve tried some similar tests (I don’t know if this is the one I’ve tried) and they don’t work for every project. It seems that they are not fully finished.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I don’t know if it makes any difference but this project is from “Information Security and Quality Assurance Projects”. User Stories for the project suggest that you should build an API/fullstack app (they are not clear on this, they’ve given to us just an example of how the end product should look like) with some endpoints and they gave us some starter project which has some structure and none of the functions already written to make your API works. Basically my app should keep count of likes for every stock and to prevent users to give more than one like. I could’ve directly sent requests for stock info to original API from some website, but then I wouldn’t have possibility to count likes for each stock.
I would like to hear your thoughts on how this should be done… :smiley:

Every backend project page (in both the APIs and Microservices Projects and the Information Security and Quality Assurance Projects) has the statement "Build a full stack JavaScript app that is functionally similar to this: " followed by a link to a working example. An example complete with documentation.

Anyway, that’s just my feedback. I may be completely wrong.

I agree with you, but in the user stories they require api/stock-prices endpoint and they also specify how the JSON response should look like… so I’ve just built an api and around that I’ve added a front-end layer to make things nice… And because I’ve used React in my FE, I need some API to communicate with it anyway… I don’t quite understand what approach you’re proposing… It would be nice if you have some example to show me…

I think your project page looks great. I wouldn’t make any changes except to include some documentation.
https://swagger.io/blog/api-documentation/what-is-api-documentation-and-why-it-matters/

Oh that you meant, sorry, I didn’t get it right away. :smiley: Yeah, I can fully agree with you on that. btw thanks for the link… :smiley:

1 Like