10 major freeCodeCamp improvements that are live now

Hi! Coding section’s background should have a cooler background. Make it look like an IDE possibly. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

About Improvement #2, I was about to claim my data-vis certificate, after the update there is no obvious way (in the settings page as described) to claim it.
Am I doing something wrong? Any Ideas, suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
mt

Hey, Quince. I’ve got a couple of questions:

• Somewhat off-topic, but I am working on implementing a passwordless login system for my latest self project (https://github.com/dgdev1024/user-stories-app). Should I also implement an email-change system? I noticed that the new FCC platform doesn’t have an email-change system. What considerations should I look at when implementing such a system?

• Also, will a FCC account reset wipe out my legacy certs (I have a frontend cert)? If it does, I’d better not do it!

Thank you.

@Vectormike40 This was addressed most recently just 2 posts above yours.

@MichaelTd Scroll way down in the settings page. The old ones are called “Legacy” certificates.

@dgdev1024 Yes, but since those are earned by providing links to external projects, you could always just submit the same links again.

Thank you very much for bringing us all of this! I’m learning and I would like you to know that many of us are really grateful to you!

Thank you again!

@QuincyLarson hi Quincy

I hate to come off a bit “salty” here.

Honestly though, before you make a major change like this I would have considered the path of people that are already almost finished with legacy certifications. I know that it’s been stated that your team is working on correcting this issue, but it really should have been setup before the roll out. I’m glad that you’ve added so many more features, but the way you rolled this out seems a bit “disrespectful” to people that have been using the site. I hope going forward you will better consider problems like this with any major upgrades.

Seems obvious to me.

1 Like

I would also like to know if nonprofit projects are still a part of free code camp since I was actually looking forward to that. It would be a nice think to add to a portfolio

1 Like

The bug that prevented people from claiming certificates was a bug. The team spent the better part of a year beta testing and trying to anticipate and fix any bugs that might arise, but it’s impossible to perfectly prepare for what will happen when you go from a testing environment to a production environment with thousands of users.

Seems obvious to me.

2 Likes

I’m not sure to what bug you are referring, but I wasn’t discussing that. I’m talking about the lack of a map that reflects a path to legacy certifications. Current users should have been thought of first.

Awesome job! Digging the new curriculum. Quick feedback: I would love to have a progress bar or some other quick visualization that shows how I’m progressing through a given module.

2 Likes

I came here to say that you did great on the website. This is absolutely the best web developing tutorial! Thank you a lot for your efforts.

But just a question, does freecodecamp learn you how to link between HTML elements and Javascript? I just noticed that at the end of the day, Javascript lessons only learn you how to make functions and the basics but never learn you how to apply them to the pages. I don’t know if there are a tutorial about this as there are a lot of them here, my question is, does the tutorial learn you this at future lessons or not(besides frameworks like Jquery of course)?

A full “map” still exists as the curriculum page. The certificates sections of the settings page show progress in terms of particular certificates. There is nothing in the redesign that interferes with campers who were about to claim legacy certificates doing so. The only impediment is the aforementioned bug that prevented some people from actually being able to click the ‘claim’ button.

1 Like

I have a quick question about previous projects used in the new curriculum. For example I got the tribute page done and submitted before the change over. Do I have update it to pass the test suite/newly added user stories in order to have it count for the new Responsive Web Design section?

Yes. These were designed with current users in mind to try to ensure that most campers would not have to make significant changes to pass tests, but some work will need to be done. While this may seem frustrating right now, it’s actually a really good exercise in returning to your previous code to make required changes.

1 Like

Thanks @ArielLeslie!
Oh definitely. I can attest to having to go back and update code as need be. It’s a great habit to build.

And it will finally convince people to start using meaningful variable and function names, organizing their code, and that comments are good. :wink:

2 Likes

Do you know how to retrieve the progress in each lesson? I used comments to save annotations and consideration and now everything is lost with the solutions…

Some people are reporting they are unable to claim certifications from the /settings page yet, and some are. We’re refactoring our settings page to make it more reliable.

I am just curious what is the current update on this matter since I am still unable to claim my API and Microservices Certification.

This is Great, Man! I’m glad to hear the “Hint” button is on its way back. As I have a long way to go yet. On the Header for #7 above I think you meant to use the word “Lightning” where you have the word “Lighting”. I’m having trouble with a couple of the exercises. I’ll check it out in GitHub before I go any farther into it though. Have a great evening.

Blockquote
Seems there’s always one more little tweak that can be added…
Editor Badge

Blockquote

Blockquote

Cool!