12 sided dice with 5 replicated images

Hello, just imagine a 12 sided dice with 5 replicated images eg. 6 rabbits, 3 sheep, 1 pig, 1 cow, 1 wolf. And now lets make a logic for the throw. I copy here my working logic but I have a question: is it the best option or can it be done in a better way. Especially I am interested what better can be done with the replicated images. I mean if there are 6 rabbits it means that possibility of throwing a rabbit is six time more then a wolf. SO here is my working code:

var blueDiceAnimals = [
  { animal: "rabbit"
  },
  },
  },
  },
  },
  },
  {
    animal: "sheep"
  },
    {
  },  {
  },
  {
    animal: "pig"
  },
  {
    animal: "cow"
  },
  {
    animal: "wolf"
  }
];

var diceMachine = {
    blueDice: function() {
    var newThrowBlue = blueDiceAnimals[Math.floor(Math.random() * blueDiceAnimals.length)];
  },
};

Thank You for Your hints :slight_smile:

You could write it with something like this:

[[6, "rabbit"], [9, "sheep"], [10, "pig"], [11, "cow"], [12, "wolf"]]

Then when you generate your random number between 1-12, you iterate through the array until you find a number greater than or equal to the number generated. This would come in handy if you were rolling a hundred-sided die, but for 12 sides, I’d say your solution is plenty good enough. You might want to at least factor out those object literals into variables though.

1 Like

@chuckadams thank You for your help. Could You be so kind and write me if You find 2 minutes what You mean by - “You might want to at least factor out those object literals into variables though.” Thank You. Hubert

By refactoring, I mean reducing the repetition. Right now, you have a bunch of object literals, like { animal: "rabbit" } repeated several times. What if you wanted to add another property to the object? You’d have to repeat it six times. Rather than doing that, you can define it in one place, and just use the name. Here’s what I mean.

let rabbit = { animal: "rabbit" };
let sheep = { animal: "sheep" };

let animals = [ 
   rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, 
   sheep, sheep, sheep // ... and so on ...
] 
1 Like