3-4 years into learning web dev and can't land an interview

The toxic white man has left the site. Have fun with FCC snowflakes!

Hi Nicknyr,

That’s very unfortunate to hear.

My thoughts on landing an interview…

How about going to meetups and meeting people (or through your friends) to refer you to companies? that way you’ll have a higher chance of getting an interview.

Is your Resume formatted properly or have the right keywords?

First let me say THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. I went to a boot camp and finished and have had lots of interviews but I don’t make it past the trivial “culture interview”. But you have to keep your head up and and maybe try a different approach. Have someone go over your resume, or practice interviews. Someone I went to school with got a job with security clearance because he had been in the military and it was remote. Maybe look for those kind of jobs. They want people who can or who has clearance. And my class mate never finished school. So maybe that is an avenue.

Do you have a portfolio and a resume? That would be very useful, lot of people here would be happy to provide you with some feedback.

1 Like

I think the posters above mentioned the key things that your OP did not. But I assume you have a portfolio if you have experience with GitHub and 3-4 years learning…

Network. Applying for jobs isn’t the best strategy. My friend recently finished a boot camp and got a job within 1 month. Here was her advice:

What I did: Spent 60 hours a week entirely on the job hunt. This included: coffee meetings, meetups (meetup.comhas good dev ones here), being active on LinkedIn/Medium, job fairs, outreach, code challenges, whiteboarding, new tech learning, interview question practice (general & tech specific) on top of the usual job hunting, researching, & applying. Also did a few hackathons, and a demo competition. I was hired after 1 month of this post-grad, but not everyone is so lucky. A couple of my classmates are still looking out of 17 of us ( > 5 months post-grad). It’s different for everyone. What I didn’t do, but has been recommended: - give lightning talks at meetups - get certs (AWS or whatever is relevant to what you want to do) - send tons of online apps - go to dev conferences (can be expensive, but some have scholarships) - get a recruiter - open PRs for open source projects on GitHub…

Whatever you have been doing at least, I think it’s time for a strategy shift.

1 Like

"I’m white, a military veteran, and have a disability. I’m really starting to feel like these companies are disinterested in me due to race, veteran status, and disability. "
I’m going to stop you right there and say you can find a government job with those aspects easy if you are indeed qualified according to the company’s hr. I know as I’ve seen it with my own eyes and worked at Lockheed and Seaside dod

But first you need to change your way of thinking. I say this as a minority woman who had 2 years experience as a developer both mainframe and full stack who is currently working as an entry software dev again at 17 an hour, overtime at 1.5x and right now I am currently fielding admin duties because the company needs it. Can I moan and groan and say because I’m a woman I’m asked to make coffee rather than code? Yes. But I don’t. I say it’s to help the company and I don’t care if I’m a woman. My lead is out and I’m here any way I can.

This is a small company and they have been very honest with me from the start.

That reality check stated I am sorry you are having a hard time. If you have not been challenged by intermediate or expert questions on hacker rank and have easily completed all the projects on here, try to widen your scope. Try to do more open source. And above all be humble. My company rejects anyone who is even a tiny bit egotistical or difficult. Even if they are not.

That is the reality. It only gets easy after you have 3 years solid coding experience at a company

4 Likes

That’s uncalled for, sir.

I am not going to pass judgment based on just a comment that could be out of frustration, but for future reference, don’t do this. Don’t assume you are working against an unjust system and don’t dismiss people trying to help you by reacting like that. For all you know, her company has positions open in the areas and you just burned the best opportunity to actually interact with a human being in a hiring position.

I only have a few questions about your preparation before really having a good assessment of your job seeking efforts.

What technologies are commonly cited in the job postings in your area? How many of them are beyond your current capabilities? What experience level do they prefer? Are there keywords that keep on popping up that you are not familiar with?

Do you tailor your resume to job postings? What are your efforts optimization wise? do you iterate and do some A/B testing? Do you have a portfolio or a project that is easy to demonstrate?

What are your projects like? Are they all independent? Do you have examples where you worked in a group? Do you contribute to opensource projects or civic projects?

Lastly and perhaps most importantly, how many programmers do you know and how many are willing to endorse your skills?

1 Like

For all the virtue signalling going in various industries, disabled people are the most hated minority group around by both sides of the mainstream political spectrum.
They probably see you as someone who made “wrong life choices” and “preferred partying over studying” or a “loser”, etc. if they can’t understand the concept of not managing to finish college because of health problems, like ableds often do or as a potential liability because they do understand that concept.

Interesting to see you gradually lose hope in your posts since 2017. Starting out with concept of going through a list of things you need to do to succeed and then slowly realising the magnitude of forces, often beyond your control deciding your fate.

Have you looked into freelancing? I have pretty much given up on concept of being hired due to health issues and was planning to start free-lancing and start my own company.
Though I recently started questioning if web development is really for me. I got through the web design course during a paid internship in my mother’s company, but haven’t really done much more. Had to force myself to do minimum required for the projects.
I wanted to do another paid internship but the program they have in local NEET office doesn’t allow doing them in family company unlike the progam I got the first internship in.
Now I’m trying to become a professional artist, since over 2016 I uploaded, like 500 drawings to my Tumblrs but haven’t even done my own custom blog theme.
I think it means something. Because if I have to force myself to do that stuff or get paid for, I can’t really compete with people who are into it and are ready to do 1000s of hours of work before getting any pay.
So, I’m focusing on learning fundamentals of drawing which I should have done in 2016. Probably could run a Patreon by now or something if I did.

Anyway, the point is that normies control workplaces and they really hate people who are disabled, had period of unemployment, didn’t finish college, etc. There’s plenty of white guys occupying workplaces in tech, don’t worry. But they just happened to be the right kind of white guys that the industry wants. Who were coddled all their lives and never had any experiences that would throw them off the track, who just smoothly went through the educational pipeline and who now judge people who had harder lives and deny them any chance to improve their lot.

It’s not that white males aren’t welcome in tech industry. It’s just that you aren’t.

So, if you really have the skills you talk about, freelancing may be the only way for you to capitalise on them for now.

1 Like

I think they don’t look at experience, but on how fast you gain it. That’s the thing what they are expecting from Junior devs.

I watched one of the fCC videos in the end of October last year, which was really eye-opening and pretty much buried my dreams about becoming a web dev. It was absolutely brutal.
It was very no nonsense, no “everyone can code” sugarcoating, just what she had to do to get hired as a junior dev and then keep the job.

In short, she got a job after demonstrating rapid progress, then they fired her quickly because she wasn’t learning after work. So, when she got the next job, she has cut off her social life and replaced it with learning to code hahahaohwow.jpg .

Basically what they expect you to do is work full time and then go back home and study after work and on weekends.
Basically, you’re not going to get that job unless you demonstrate you’re able to work crazy hours.

Looking at her github, you’d need to have over 100 commits per half-a-year to make it look like you’re doing a lot.
You need something that will make whoever actually decides who they want on their team or in their small company think “Yeah, this guy will code all day at company, then go home and code at home and then code all weekend at home.”

I looked up your LinkedIn profile, which I can see might explain in part why you’re not landing interviews:

• First is the " Seeking a New Opportunity". Don’t put that on your profile. I see a lot of people on LinkedIn doing that, but it’s not a good idea. A better idea is to say that you’re a freelancer.
  • Second is that your # of connections and your work history don’t add up. You have 500+ connections just based off of 4 years in the Navy? I’d imagine the majority of recruiters/companies will be extremely confused by your super-high number of connections combined with your lack of work experience in general. Most people who have 500+ connections generally work in either a certain field (sales, marketing, recruitment, etc) or have been working for at least several years in a career progression.
  • What’s your disability? You didn’t say, so it’s impossible for anyone to guess how that might be factoring in.
  • Your lack of a previous position in software or IT is definitely the biggest hurdle—and as someone who’s applied to tons of jobs myself, I’d say that’s probably the top reason that companies tend to either ghost applicants or immediately reject them. There’s just no getting around that.

There are two things I’d recommend for you:

1. Network, network, network. It’s extremely difficult to land a job through blindly applying online, no matter how many jobs you apply to. Yes, I’ve heard NYC is a huge market for developers too. That logically means there are tons of current developers in NYC. How many developers in NYC have you met? Don’t view networking as just with recruiters or company HR reps—the more developers you know, the more your chances will go up. Attend tech meetups in NYC, and go to as many company events as you can, because surely there must be a lot there. I know Meetup and MongoDB are both based in NYC and I’d be willing to bet that they host events on at least a semi-regular basis. If I was in your shoes, I’d be going to as many events as I could. A quick Google turned up this result which shows there’s quite a lot going on: https://www.builtinnyc.com/events

2. Get some feedback on your interview skills. Not to offend you in any way, but how do you know that your “social skills are fine and I’m not awkward or unprofessional.”? In this forum thread alone, you made a less than professional post to another FCC member. I’ve seen previous posts from you on FCC’s forums that weren’t exactly professional either. The fact that you’ve made such posts off-handedly on the FCC forums makes me wonder how professional you come across in phone calls and in person, and soft skills are critical in getting through interviews and ultimately landing a job. A lot of companies interview for culture fit and soft skills way more than they interview for hard skills.

4 Likes

I’m a white dude living and working in NYC. Never had a difficult time getting a job and currently work in a large development team with other white dudes. Given some of the other comments you’ve made, I’m going to suggest that you reconsider just how professional you actually are.

3 Likes

Giving the way you think by what you said I’m guessing you talk very badly on social media and guess who checks those things. You sound like someone I wouldn’t want to work with, just putting that out there. Not only that, but people can also pick up on these things with body language. If they don’t see you’re a team player that can work with all people no matter who they are you’ll never find something. Lawsuits for discrimination are expensive and companies don’t want to deal with people that could bring them.

2 Likes

It really is too bad that instead of considering the various tips you received about professional and self-improvement, you took the route of making the comment that was flagged. Unfortunately no one is gonna really wonder why you don’t have a job yet when you show a complete lack of self-awareness like that. I work in NYC as a software engineer and am a Hispanic woman; I liked the FCC meetups here and think it’d be cool to work with a freecodecamp-er but damn does it seem like I should ask for someone’s forum username before recommending them for anything. I was looking for a job for a year, accepted the first job offer I received after many rejections and sympathize with feeling shitty about not finding a job in what everyone says is a booming industry. But the fact is: entry-level positions are very competitive and require personal connections and a lot of luck. I mean how absurd does people not hiring you because you’re a white dude sound in an industry that is majority white men. Stop blaming and comparing yourself to others and take some time to re-evaluate who you are.

4 Likes