$45k/annual salary as a web app dev with almost 2 years experience. Is this normal?

I live in Tennessee. I have around 1.75 years of work experience (employed) as a web application developer. I worked for 3 companies so far. The first for 8 months, the second as a temp contract for 3 months, and my current one for about 9 months.

One thing I love about this job is the flexibility. I work remote as of now and I can dictate my work hours. I get PLENTY of free time. I am not micromanaged whatsoever. We will be going back into the office in December, but it will be hybrid.

My only complaint is my salary. I make a decent income despite not having a college degree, but I am looking up the average salaries for web developers and they are higher, sometimes as much as $15k-$30k. The average salary data is not consistent though. I am making $45k/year right now with 75% of my benefits covered.

HI again!

I remember when you posted about this back in March.

I still think $45K is on the lower side personally.

But I think the bigger issue , is that you are going to have to learn how to advocate for yourself and ask for the salary that is in line with the marketplace.

For future jobs, you are going to have to do your research and ask for a number that is fair in the marketplace.
If a company is going to pay you below that marketplace rate, then you will need to counter.

I know that a lot of people will say, just take whatever you can get for that first job and go from there.

But you have already worked a few jobs.
I personally think you are more in a position to be selective and decline offers that are below the current market and counter.

Just keep that in mind when you are apply for your next job :grinning:

4 Likes

This right here. It doesn’t matter if the data is not consistent, or may be unreliable. If you’ve got some data points that show you should be making more based off of your experience, location, job title, etc. then you should be confident in asking for a raise.

I’ve been successful in getting raises in the past and I only use local data as a last resort. First and foremost your current employer will want to know why they should pay you more today if you’re just going to provide the same result tomorrow. There are so many ways to go about this but at the end of the day any company is going keep you for as cheap as possible because why wouldn’t they. PM me if you want some ideas on what’s worked for me in the past.