A day as a coder web dev / app / programmer

A day as a coder web dev / app / programmer
0.0 0

What is a typical day at the office like being a coder?

I’d like to hear different experiences from entry level to sr engineers.

More discussion of an “average day” and work environments in that thread.

I work as an email developer at a marketing agency.
I’ll get in around 9, check emails, calendar and resource booking sheets (these detail what I’m going to be working on). Hit a scrum meeting around 9:30 with one of the account teams to get a more detailed view of the day, answer/ask questions about my work and also see what else is coming down the pipe. Then pretty much get to work building my emails til the end of the day (with a lunch and multiple tea breaks). Sometimes I’ll have to attend meetings about upcoming work to offer a developer viewpoint on the work in progress, to ensure they don’t design up something we can’t actually do. I’ll also occasionally meet with creatives to discuss their ideas and how we can make it work in dev. Throughout the day I’ll be chatting with my colleagues about work we’re doing or just generally shooting the breeze about tech stuff, we’re only a small team and work on projects indiviually, so it’s helpful for us to know what each other is doing.

Agency life is pretty good too, there’s often people brining in cakes/sweets, we have weekly drinks to go over company business and it’s generally a relaxed work enviroment.

Thanks for sharing.

Is this your first job at programmer / developer? If not, do you find this to be a more relaxed atmosphere than other places as dev? Do you find this to be typical shop for dev folk? Are you required to put in 10-12+ hrs in the office daily and/or can you work from home as desired?

I’m trying to get a feel for what to expect generally. Often times I hear there is a lot of burn out for beginners like me.

Sounds good. Seems like you have plenty of freedom and not a “sweatshop” type of environment as I’ve heard from numerous folk sitting down all day and just pushing code as if they were bots.

What sort of development do you do ie. web front/backend, app development, etc…?

I interned for a company just getting out of the startup phase when I was in college. Then I worked for Hewlett Packard Enterprise for a few years. I’ve been at my current job since August.

Most of the developers that I work with are pretty chill. Because we do government contract work, the company is a bit more anal about some some things than the other places that I’ve worked, but it’s really not too bad. For that reason, it’s pretty hard to work from home. To compensate, the hours are pretty flexible. I work with some people who do 4 10s. At my last job my boss knew I had a rough commute, so he sent me home with monitors and equipment and encouraged me to work from home whenever I needed to. If I ever put in a 12 hour day, something really important is really broken.

As a beginner breaking into coding via html, css, jscript ,not sure if that’s your skillset, is there any advice / suggestions you have that would help my journey of breaking into the software development arena aside from grinding through FCC, Udemy, TeamTreehouse type courses? Some folk on other forums suggest starting your own little project to hone in on the skills and/or offer free website development for friends, mom pop type businesses or charities to build portfolio as well as references. Since I don’t computer science education this is all very new to me yet interesting & enjoyable.

From my own experience and watching students here at FCC for the last 2+ years, the first advice that comes to mind is to watch out for falling into the buffet temptation to try a little of everything. Finish things. See them through. Projects are important. FCC is great in that it will assign you projects at every level, but not hold you hand and tutorial you through them. Keep having fun. Keep learning. Know now that it’s going to be hard and it’s going to be frustrating. You have a very supportive community here. Don’t wait too long to ask for help.

Thanks for the advice it’s much appreciated. I’m looking forward to growing in this field. Pretty reminiscent of my career in IT where all of the frustration ultimately paid off by sticking to the grind. Cheers!!