A lot of help from my campers > Firebird > .fdb files

Hello all and good day.

Today I dare post here asking for A LOT of help on a personal project. Hope you have some time to spare.

So I work at a store, and they have a program that has a DataBase in .fdb format (Firebird Database). I want to write a program in python that manipulates this file to update information.

But I haven’t been able to visualize the data, less alone make python read it.

From this forum thread : python firebird/fdb file parser - Stack Overflow I can tell there are some modules that help python read and manipulate the .fdb file but the connection must be done through a Firebird Server.

And here’s where I’m at a complete loss.

Ok so I wrote to the developers of the program (just to make sure the file wasn’t encrypted and I’m allowed to manipulate it) and they kindly inform me that the version of Firebird they used was 2.0.1 and so I downloaded and install Firebird 2.0.7 (which suposedly works fine with 2.0.1, and was the only firebird 2.0.x in the official website) read the documentation and tried, first of all, to visualize the firebird example file (employee.fdb)

So I initialized isql and typed:

CONNECT "C:\Program Files (x86)\Firebird\Firebird_2_0\examples\empbuild\EMPLOYEE.FDB" user 'SYSDBA' password 'masterkey';

and the response was:
Statement failed, SQLCODE= -904
unavailable database

Here’s an image of the file directory:

And here’s one of the isql prompt:
temp2

So… I’m probably doing a lot of things wrong. Maybe I have to do some previous configuration of Firebird?

I also tried visualizing the data in VS Code using the “Firebird: DB Explorer” extension but all I get is an empty icon of the DB.

Any help would be much apreciated. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

I think I got it…
in the isql prompt i typed:

CONNECT "localhost:C\Program Files ...... path\employee.fdb" user ' SYSDBA' password 'masterkey';

I was missing the “localhost:” part

In the visual studio Code I still can’t visualize the data. but I’ve made some progress I guess. the question is would this be suficient? hehe I’ll keep working.
Thanks for your attention :slight_smile:

1 Like