A reason to not accept/teach ES6?

Hey guys! I’m redoing my Javascript map to be more prepared for the JS chalenges. But not only FCC shows warnings (which is fine to me) about using ES6 sometimes it doesn’t accept my code. Like this one:

// Example
var ourName = "Free Code Camp";
var ourStr = "Hello, our name is " + ourName + ", how are you?";

// Only change code below this line
var myName = "Emerson";
var myStr = `My name is ${myName} and I am swell!`;

Use two + operators to build myStr with myName inside it

I’m just trying to ignore this and keep it cool but sometimes it’s quite annoying (also for the fact that we learn jquery not vanilla script)

So is there any educational reason for this or is just that the course isn’t updated and I should just ignore this?

Yes, have a look at the beta site. You might like that better.

What is the challenge name for the code you have above?

here’s the link

well it’s not working here :frowning:

You can not use string literals on this challenge, because the test module is specifically looking for you to use two + operators to build myStr.

If you run into a challenge where you want to use string literals in general but the code will not run (with the exception of this challenge), you can add:

// jshint esversion:6

to the top of your code and those warnings will go away.

Compared to the amount of JavaScript you learn from this site, it’s laughable how much jquery this site “teaches” you. I would say if you’re under the impression this site teaches jquery and not vanilla javascript just “keep your cool” and press on, the vanilla javascript challenges get much harder.

that’s reasonable, thanks for the tip but the warnings don’t bother me much :slight_smile:

well, this is supposed to be hard, I don’t see a point in teaching jquery in 2017 anyway, plus I have some programming background so it might be less strange to me. I just I just got mad lol cause I got the output that it was supposed to be gotten and it wasn’t accepted. anyway I’ll just keep going.

Some frameworks actually still use jquery. The jquery part isn’t meant to be hard I don’t imagine. It’s towards the beginning of a curriculum meant for absolute beginners. If you don’t see a point skip it? You may have gotten the output but if you didn’t read what they wanted then you’re not gonna pass their test.

I don’t ever use jQ but it’s a free resource that none of us pay for and that part isn’t required either, just the vanilla js challenges (which I mentioned if you wanted something hard you should skip to) and the projects.