A word of caution for foreigners(especially third-worlders)

I didn’t write that with the intention of pointing fingers or accusing anyone of malice. I was just pointing out that if you don’t live in a rich country, don’t bet on getting hired as a self-taught developer. Many people, like me, might come across sites like the FCC and bait themselves into thinking that they have the same chance of getting hired as the others who most likely live in the US or other rich countries.

I don’t even have to dig too deep to see this happening in this very forum: Am I commiting a huge misstake?

Any degree is better than nothing. At least over here.

We got affordable college over here. Public universities are considered to be the best and they are free but you have to pass an exam to enter. Private universities, on the other hand, are paid and they vary greatly in both quality and price but you can take affordable loans to pay in monthly installments later. They’re akin to Community Colleges.

If the person can’t attend any sort of college though, I’d advise not going the self-taught route. The chances of getting hired as a self-taught developer by applying to jobs and sending curriculums are pretty much null.

The only “workarounds” is to either be a programming genius or win the networking lottery. Neither is feasible.