About learning new frameworks or new tools in general

So, there are big bunch of complaints around the web, like:

Oh, if I will become a developer, I will be constantly dealing with new tech/new tools, with updated old tech, that’s so hard, I won’t manage.

I am personally not a fan of the above.

My understanding is:

if there are tech/tools invented for similar purposes, then
there are can be many of them, yes >>>>> problem exists
but some of them can be similar also.>>>>>problem is solvable

As I see it now, when I am learning new programming language/ framework, I need somehow:

get understanding:

1. what knowledge is basic concept, that can be applied when using different tools?
    (i think it algorithms as example)

2. what knowledge is tool-specific?
    (I think it is some syntax for example)

But I am not sure, how can I always be able to grasp the difference between first and second.

Any advice about the above?

I’m not sure I really understand the question.

All that really matters is the foundation. You can learn whatever you need to learn as long as you have a good foundation and can read the documentation and search for answers. If you have strong JS fundamentals you can learn whatever JS framework you need to learn. Most answers can be found in the documentation or searched for.

As for tooling in general, it’s just the plight of a developer. Use and learn things as you go and try to be flexible and accept new things (it can be hard).

1 Like

As I see from your answer, I believe you understood the question.

I needed basically some confirmation like you provided.
There are bunch of people who are constantly talking about IT, like I will always need to learn everything from scratch and any previous knowledge will be useless.

If I try to rephrase second part of my post:

Can I come up with some definition:

What is exactly JS fundamentals? What is foundation? What specific knowledge/skill is it?

To “grasp at the difference” is to understand the underlying reasoning behind why a given tool exists.

Generally a tool exists to solve a problem. What that problem is and how that tool approaches solving that problem is where the differences and similarities are.

So for example, in web development there are 3 largely popular client-side frameworks:

• React
  • Angular
  • Vue

For the sake of simplicity I’ll compare React vs Angular as I’m familiar with both.

These 2 frameworks exist with slightly different, but similar goals.

• Angular is an “application development framework build using web technologies”
  • React is a “framework to build UIs”

With just the missions statements of these 2, you can see some slight overlap. Angular includes UI development as part of developing applications, but React specifically is focused on the UI aspect.

Thus, the approaches these 2 technologies is actually different, where React focuses on the UI aspect and Angular focuses more on the overall architecture, hence Angular is more complex, while also including similar concepts like Components, which also are included in React.

Both frameworks use the concept of a Component for a singular UI element that can encapsulate functionality and or UI. However, the approach to building these components is also slightly different, with React making it more straight forward, and Angular’s being more “app architecture” driven.

This sort of “comparison by differences” is not unique to just web technologies, the same could be applied to really anything. So the main thing to keep in mind when weighing different technologies, old and new, is to understand the problem each is trying to solve and then understand the solutions each take to solve that problem.

It’s possible you may try to compare totally different technologies that solve totally different problems, like say nodejs vs React, and get confused as there is no overlap. This is because they focus on totally different problems, but they end up using similar underlying choices to solve their problems (they both use JavaScript)

Finally, new solutions can come about to solve old or new problems. Expanding on React again, a solution like Nextjs solves the problem that React by itself is not good for SEO, and has a number of pitfalls due to its normal SPA design. Each use a similar “solution” by building on React’s approach, but tackle different problems.

So, understand the problem, and then seek to understand the solution and you’ll be able to grasp the differences more easily!

1 Like