Discuss data science, machine learning, statistics, and anything related to working with data.
I think we should keep data science as a unique category and see if people start asking questions. I would agree in fragmenting that into other ones if people start asking too different questions under that category.
Actually Quincy, I would suggest something like the following. Usual questions in the DS room:
- Becoming a Data Scientist (what to do? courses? difference to other titles?)
- Best data sources for data science practionners
- Help with Code Snipes
- Best Methods to solve a problem (ML or unsupervised? DL?)
- Fundamental Concepts
- Data Visualization
- Data Science Events
- Ethics in Data Science
- Showing my Data Science Project!
I think this is a good list? If we target user interests instead of technical DS topics, I think that would make more sense…
Categories could be like:
- Data Science: Events
- Data Science: My Project
- Data Science: Courses and Tutorials
- Data Science: Data Sources and Real Practice
- Data Science: Code Revision
- Data Science: Which method should I use for…?
- Data Science: Fundamental Concepts
- Data Science: Data Viz
- Data Science: Ethics
- Data Science: Languages, Packages and Libraries
- Data Science: Big Data and Cloud
- Data Science: Getting jobs
Proposal: adding additional categories to forum, including design, testing, security, and machine learning
I think we got this granular in labels when the forums first started. However, I think we rolled them back to simpler general categories for easier navigation. I’m sure @QuincyLarson can comment on the reason behind this.
So I’d guess that he’d be opposed to making the categories that fine grained. Plus, with the search functionality, I think it’ll be easier to maintain just to have a broad category, then recommend to search from that tag to find events, jobs, etc.
Agree. I am sure it is too much. But then I don’t see why to keep ML out of DS as aggregating category
Anyway, no plans to take this into a long discussion. I am ok with any decision taken!
Thanks for the healthy discussion, though!
To really get meta, the true way to go about this would be to gather data/conduct polls on the perceived divide between ML and DS…
…Soooo Google Trends is probably the closest and quickest data-driven way to decide! (grapes was my “control” search term )
But yes, I agree with @evaristoc that the ML and DS divide is otherwise quite arbitrary.
We should have a
grapes category! It is very popular!!