Absolute Noob where to begin

Hey guys its about 3 in the morning here. I have been getting lost in the depths of the interwebs and stumbled across this forum. With all this COVID19 chaos thats happened I have lost my job. I have been all over the place (online) looking for alternative career moves. I guess what I’ve realized is the industry that I am currently is so very NON essential. And I told myself that I don’t ever want to have to worry about losing a job and being stuck in this type of situation again. And I also want to have the flexibility in my work/life schedule. Technology is something that will not be disappearing any time soon. I’m 30 years old and just started from the very beginning on FCC’s learning side. I guess I’m just nervous, worried etc that I’m not going to understand this all! I am pretty computer illiterate but definitely willing to learn and don’t really have anything else going on right now. I know there is tons of content on here to read and learn. Am i getting in over my head trying to start this at 30 with no diploma or degree. Are there job opportunities for someone like myself if I were to get the gist of all this. Late night thoughts can get the best of me sometimes. Anyways. Would love to hear some feed back positive, negative, neutral!
Thanks!

2 Likes

I believe it’s not too late to start learning especially not for programming and not for someone of your age. However careers in tech is vast and it depends on the niche you are venturing in and if you manage to get the whole gist like you said their are lots of career opportunities and because in tech you might loose a job but never the skill which can get you into another job or gig depends on your choice. I will like to not sugarcoat it for you by saying this path is easy it isn’t because nothing worthy actually is but it is achievable. It might take you time to learn to become employable so i will advice you have basic amenities (foold, cloth, shelter, internet) as this might not earn you immediately, also make sure you surround yourself with mentors and also join community like this because it goes a long way in eradicating frustration of not understanding how things works and debugging when needed. Cheers !

2 Likes