Absorbing material

Hey all!
I was at first committed fully to one language, JavaScript, and that’s my main focus. However, I’ve picked up HTML and CSS to make sure I get the basics, and Python seems really appealing. How do you go deep into JavaScript? I find myself getting frustrated when I don’t get something. I just want to know that I’m not so distant from being ready to apply for jobs.

I also find myself not yet at a point where I can solve problems like “Find First and Last Position of Element in Sorted Array”, even though I’ve been studying arrays. Any advice on how to be more efficient with time? It would help a ton!
Thank you! And hope everyone is having a good start to the New Years!

Have you worked through the Javascript Algorithms and Data Structures Certification?
That starts with the basics but gives a really solid foundation in Javascript. Then you can go into much greater depth with the Frontend and Backend certifications.

I have, and I found it really helpful. Only thing is I first started with tutorials. When I go back and redo it, I’m slowly able to do it on my own…it’s just that it hadn’t translated yet to doing data structures and algorithms/interview questions.

Hi @ahmedshifa298 !

The best way is to build projects outside of a course.
Come up with an idea for an application, break that project down into pieces to work on and build it out with the help of documentation, articles and asking questions on the forum.
Building your own projects will expose you to more problems to solve and deepen your understanding of the language.

I would suggest writing down your algorithm on paper and walking through the steps.
Then take those steps and slowly turning it into code.
You could also reach out to the forum with your code and approach to solving the problem.
It is possible that the algorithm you can up with is flawed and needs to be revised so you can solve the problem.
The forum can help with that.

2 Likes

Will do!

Actually, the project I’m working on now is a note taking app. I’ve started with following a tutorial, and figured I would try to follow then do it on my own. Should I abandon the tutorial completely?

I also tried setting up React Native, and I get this:
PS C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\setup\Note Taking App> npx create-expo-app AwesomeProject

cd AwesomeProject
npm start # you can also use: npx expo start
npx : The term ‘npx’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was
included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1

• npx create-expo-app AwesomeProject
  •   + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (npx:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

cd : Cannot find path ‘C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\setup\Note Taking App\AwesomeProject’ because it does not exist.
At line:3 char:1

• cd AwesomeProject
  •   + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (C:\Users\Owner\...\AwesomeProject:String) [Set-Location], ItemNotFoundException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetLocationCommand

npm : The term ‘npm’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was
included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:4 char:1

• npm start # you can also use: npx expo start
  •   + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (npm:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

PS C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\setup\Note Taking App>

I have no clue what to do, as this is my first time working with React Native.

Well if you are at the beginning of this tutorial, then you can stop it and build it on your own with the help of googling and asking questions.
It will probably take you a lot longer to build it without the tutorial because you will be constantly debugging errors but you will grow a lot more that way.

As for your question concerning the errors around your React Native project, it would be best to create a new post on the forum and people can help out there.

Is there any framework good for a beginner? Or someone struggling with these kinds of challenges?

I went through the curriculum before, I need to go through it again. I used mainly tutorials to do it the first time around.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.