Advice / motivation needed on web devs learning

hello , coders !
I feel a lot of setbacks when learning JavaScript especially OOP and regEx, like I kept forgot about the syntax or I have the idea how to solve it but I can’t write in code. I feel like want to give up because I kept forgetting a lot of functions I learnt. kinda disappointed with myself after I solved the code and I compared with other people code. their code like neater and simple.

can you give me any advice to improve my skills ? also how important is OOP when come to webdev ? do you guys remember or memorize all the necessary functions/methods ? what functions/methods do you think are really important ?

1. can you give me any advice to improve my skills ?
    Repetition. First time I went through the exercises, I felt the same as you. Keep solving similar algorithms on different platforms. Comeback to FCC, try them again. You will write better code.

2. also how important is OOP when come to webdev ?
    Depends. If you are working with Java on the backend, it will be very important. If you working front-end with React, not so much.

3. do you guys remember or memorize all the necessary functions/methods ?
    They will come to you if you use them enough. I have memorized the ones that I use frequently naturally though.

4. what functions/methods do you think are really important ?
    IMO, to mention few I use often. Slice, map, filter, reduce, toUpperCase, etc…

Good luck :+1:

2 Likes

Nope, if I don’t remember it, Read-Search-Ask

The Search part is pretty important, google is a goldmine, but there are a few websites that are worth bookmarking
One is this, certainly not the only one

1 Like

Look at other solutions, not to compare yours to theirs, but to learn from it.

For one, the code you are looking at are not people who just started learning. For two, everyone processses information and comes to results in different ways. Even for stuff that for me is now easy (FYI, the JS challenges literally made me cry cause I was so frustrated…so Ive come a long way) when I look at other solutions, its out of curiosity and fascination to see other ways it can be done.

The more you work with it, out of sheer repetition, you’ll naturally start to remember the stuff you do over and over and over again. Then there will always be stuff you dont do as much, for your entire career, there will be things you need to look up, because there is simply too much to memorize. I was in an interview where I was having trouble remembering if I should use the splice or slice method…and he told me to just pick one and pretend its the right one, cause even he didnt know offhand. So yeah, no one is memorizing everything.

Just keep working your way through, as you do, certain concepts will stick with you…you’ll progress. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply , do you know where else can I practice ? also I think my map,filter and reduce aren’t that strong yet.

Thanks for your reply , it really motivated me :star_struck:

1 Like

My two platforms that are somewhat friendly to beginners are.

https://codesignal.com/