Advice on getting a remote front end developer position

Hi everyone,
I’m quite new to FCC, though, I’ve been trying to get myself into programing for about a year. I’ve been drawn towards front end development as a future career for myself, but where I’m planning to move (in the next year) isn’t necessarily a job hot spot. I’m wondering if its possible to land a remote front end job (somewhat) right off the bat. I’ve heard the best bet is always to have a strong portfolio, but even so, is it even possible?

Hello @chiaraschrift welcome to the freeCodeCamp forums!

So its possible, but it isn’t easy. When it comes to getting 100% remote work, there are a few concerns to keep in mind.

1. The ease of on-boarding - if you live in another country/state/province, its much more work on the companies side to get you hired. From different laws, to different taxes, to even something like time differences might be an issue. There isn’t much you can do with these besides move yourself, narrow your search, or just make yourself more hire able.

2. Being able to show you are productive working 100% remotely. If your just starting out its hard to prove you are able to work by yourself and be as productive as possible. You also will probably need more help and be able to communicate well enough, even though your not there physically. All of this is a concern with a remote hire, so having some experience doing it before, or anything similar is important.

3. Getting a job isn’t easy regardless of if your remote or onsite. Pandemic or not there is still a need for software developers, but that doesn’t mean people will hire anyone for any position. The process is as much about being able to stand out compared to others applying to a position, as it is being qualified through experience you have. You don’t need to be 100% amazing at everything, but you should have an “angle” to how your applying so you stand out one way or another.

So this could include having a strong portfolio, with projects that show off skills and experience that seem job ready. Have a solid github filled with a variety of projects, and learn what is being sought after in the job market(s) you are applying to.

Good luck, keep building, keep learning! :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.