Advice on highlighting main skills as well as some directions

Hi just wanted to ask for advice on how to highlight my skills better on my portfolio and resume as well as some advice on how I can improve myself further.

To start off, my background is a cybersecurity major with a few subjects in CS. When i first started programming, I was very indecisive on what I wanted to do, and I end up picking up different programming languages in my journey (some of which are also for school). But despite this, I actually still learned things that I wanted to highlight.

If I were to list the languages I learned it will be like c/c++ Java, C# and javascript.

Unfortunately, I have nothing to show this as my assignments and pet projects were mostly outputting programs on the console and the only “worthy” app was something that I failed building completely that has a lot of errors which is a java swing app for one of my school assignment.

Although I did upload some of my work in GitHub like

Despite not having anything to show for those projects I have learned a lot, through those experience in different languages I picked up programming concepts like object-oriented programming and data structures.

So I wanted to ask for advice on whether should I list the different languages I picked up as part of my resume/portfolio and how should I convey my message, that I have attempted different programming languages as part of my learning journey without sounding unfocused and that I am capable of picking those languages further if needed.

Since my main career goal is web development I only have listed skills related to front end web development in my unfinished portfolio. https://balancedsan.github.io/portfolio/.

Hope to get some advice

If I were to list all my languages, it would look like “C, C++, D, Erlang, Forth, Haskell, Idris, Java, Javascript, Lisp, Ocaml, Pascal, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, Scheme…” and that’s just off the top of my head. You should tailor your CV toward the jobs you’re applying for, which means to pick the relevant subset of what you know, including languages, technologies and paradigms. Listing absolutely everything doesn’t so much look “unfocused” as it makes a recruiter think your knowledge is probably shallow – that you’re listing every single language you’ve ever written “Hello World” in – even if it’s an undeserved perception.

What gets their attention more than a laundry list of skills is to list things you’ve done, and what technologies (languages, stacks, etc) you wrote them in. You might still want a plain list of your top languages and techs just to get past the keyword scanners, but having a mature project that lines up with what the hiring company wants is pure gold. Having some active projects on github doesn’t hurt either.