Alrogithm Challenge/Interview Question - Necessity of Thoroughness

Alrogithm Challenge/Interview Question - Necessity of Thoroughness

Afternoon coders. I recently gave a shot at the Truncate String algorithm. I lost my mind, However The other day I watched a mock interview where this guy used methods really simply to write out his functions easily and effectively. Well it inspired me to rethink how I was approaching the algorithms too complexly.

So I took another shot at the truncate string and came up with:

function truncate( string, limiter ){
  return string.split(0, limiter-3).concat("...");
}

Now i’ve seen interview questions be a bit more simple. In this mock interview, the interviewee just focused on solving the question rather than covering all possible situations. So for example this is what would have passed.

Well not only does such an incomplete function not fly with me, it’s not enough to pass the challenges. So I ended up with this:

function truncateString(str, num) {
  if( str.length <= num || num === 0 ){ return str.slice(0, num); } // If string is less than limiter or limiter reduces string to nothing, do nothing.
  if( num > 3 ){ return str.slice(0, num-3).concat("..."); } // If limiter is greater than the truncate tail, count tail as deficit toward final length.
  else{ return str.slice(0, num).concat("..."); }
}

I’m wondering, are these if statements innappropriate? Ideally I’d use ECMAScript 5’s ternary conditions over these condition blocks, but is covering all situations like this more appropriate in an interview setting even if conditions are less graceful?