Am I the only one?

I think that everyone is facing some sort of challenges when it comes to learning to code.
After one day of exhausting work it is only natural to feel that all we wanna do is relax and chill.

What I see the things that worry you are two:

1. You could not finish your study in school and therefore felt discouraged.
  2. You don’t know whether coding is still for you cos it is kind of hard.

Okay, for the 1st question, I completely understand how you feel. And dare I say this, even more than how you feel. I dropped out from school too, due to medical reason. Even on paper it was “failing too many subjects/courses”. 70% of the time I was either at home or in hospital. I won’t bore you with all the details, but you know sometimes in life we just gonna push through. And sometimes shit happens. If you can use some of your feelings as a tool to push yourself forward, one day you will go through this period. It sucks. But we can’t complain. The bright side is that you have your family around you that support you, and me too. If you want some sort of motivation here is an old thread I posted at this forum.

I can’t give you more advice on this cos it is meaningless. I found myself in a better place now when compares to half a year ago. And I am trying to code more (or at least learn more) everyday since I am recovered. I hope you push through too. And I remember someone else posted on the link above, a forum member that was named : code-to-cope or something. I am not making this up. He and I chatted a little bit. I hope he is doing well too. I don’t know whether you have the time to do this, but when it comes to working our own emotions, exercising helps a TON. Just a tip for you. :stuck_out_tongue:

the 2nd question, I will lay it out for you how’s my learning journey had been.

• October 18th of 2016 I started the 1st free code camp challenge.
  • Have been learning to code since that day.
  • My plan was to code/learn for at least 1 hour a day. And do it everyday.
  • There are a lot of times I achieved my goal. There are a lot of times I didn’t.
  • For whatever reason I did not even touch my laptop.
  • The longest time I did NOT code I think it was a month or two or even more than that.
  • But once I had the chance I go back to coding, I just keep coming back. Then after a few hiatus I am now coding regularly again.
  • I finished all the HTML and CSS challenges in free code camp, and when it comes to JS, I jumped ship to YDKJS. Google it you will find out more info about it.
  • Totally 6 books. I thought I may have never finished it. It is kind of thick or (T H I C C) when you stack them all together.
  • Again only one hour a day, most of the times, 5-6 times a week. (I am gonna be honest here I did not do it everyday.)
  • Now I am at book 4 Types and Grammar.
  • I met a lot of great people here as well as on twitter. A few of them are reading the same book.
  • Am I the fastest learner? Hell no. I try to understand every single code snippet inside those 4 books and write them all down on my notebooks. I have 6,7 of notebooks that are covered with a lot of code I understand and a lot of code I don’t. But I don’t care.
  • Am I worried about learning too slow hence will not become really competent enough? Yes. 90% of the time this is the biggest fear.
  • But every other day I put those worries aside and keep learning. Do I feel that sometimes these books are too complicated? Yes. I do… I have the feeling of tearing those things apart cos "the author is digging way too deep and I am not gonna use those things anyway, cos you know i am a newbie ". But still, I keep coming back to it.

All these things are not for showing off, but to tell you, (hopefully) objectively how I really feel about coding. There are days I don’t want to touch those book again, cos I just get angry because I have no idea what the author is talking about. There are also days where others showed me how to solve a problem that I am so happy I jotted down everything those people said and save it cos I knew it will help me tremendously later on. Do I feel bad about myself during those days I did not code? Yes. I do. I feel that I should learn more, I should do more, but I just really don’t want to do it. And sometimes these feelings tear you apart.

There is a huge gap between “getting inspired to learn coding” and “actually forming a habit of coding regularly/ or at least learning how to code regularly.” what goes in between, only you yourself knows.

And I am pretty sure that there are a lot of people (especially me myself included) DO NOT fall into the group of “How I went from an infant to work at google within 30 days”. You know all those medium articles I am talking about. But I keep learning any way.

Ask yourself this, do you really enjoy learning to code? Do you really like coding? If you do, where it leads you is not the most important thing. If there is one hour of your time today you are free to do whatever you want, do you want to code? If even 70% of the time you want to use that free 1 hour of time to code, you are good to go. Don’t worry much about “speed”, “am i smart enough”, “who is learning faster than me”.

• Setup a learning plan
  • Try to stick to it
  • Let yourself struggle and doubt, but at the same time learn to put those feelings away as soon as you code (cos coding is cool let’s be honest)
  • Cherish people who respect your dream/life goals. Leave those who don’t. (I cut off a lot of “friends” of mine, you know what, no regret.)
  • Learn to reward yourself. This is really important. Could be small, could be big.

Also here is some chat logs that I have on my hands.

4 Likes