Angular JS tutorials

Hi @vanian,

I don’t want to dissuade you unnecessarily, but you may want to do a little more ground work before jumping into Angular 2.

Angular 2 depends on lots of other technologies beside introducing it’s own new concepts. At a minimum I would suggest you use Node and NPM to get a simple backend app up and running - the first FCC backend project is probably sufficient. This will teach you about installing third party modules and importing them into your javascript files. You need to understand what the package.json file represents and the role it has in organising your external modules and npm scripts. It would also be useful to use something like ExpressJS to handle some simple routing. You won’t use this in Angular projects right away, most likely, but it will introduce you to the key ideas behind routing while Angular let the dust settle on their router.

You would also benefit from getting a broad overview of ES6 and the new Class patterns it introduces. If you can understand that in theory, then jumping into Typescript won’t be as daunting, but you’ll still need to understand Typescript a little before jumping in, too.

One thing you’ll pick up learning Angular 2 is the use of SystemJS - but that is a tool being used for beta 10. Beta 11 is moving all that over to Webpack! So you’ll have a new thing to worry about then :slight_smile:

Angular 2 is usable, and I am finding it quite fun to work in (even as someone who is still an amateur), but it is not without its pain points for newbies and seasoned devs alike!

I have written about some of my experiences using Angular2 to build the Markdown Previewer project, and there were many stumbling blocks along the way:

Blog post

1 Like