Anyone else getting tired of seeing "This is a stub."?

Just started Applied Accessibility section and although I have not had to hit the “hint button” but a handful of times since the beginning, every time I have hit that button I’ve found the link leads to a stub and no real help. Not one single time.

This is frustrating.

That’s means that we are waiting for a volunteer to write the article.

1 Like

Why do you keep on ‘hitting’ the button if you don’t like what you see? :slight_smile: If it’s frustrating, don’t do it. :confused:
Alternatively, you could submit a pull request for your help idea to be added, so that others won’t see the stub message. :slight_smile:

Well, for one, I was hitting it every once in a while and getting help initially. I was not hitting the button for the same problem over and over like an idiot.

I hit it several times throughout several lessons and did get hints eventually. Then I started noticing a trend. A trend that has continued since. I see the stub message about 60-70% of the time.

It’s a little unnerving, especially since the site has been around for a few years now and still has these messages? But my google-fu is strong and I’ve wiggled my way through a couple of tight spots. One of them caused by a Chrome plugin of all things. :slight_smile:

And two, I don’t even know what a “pull request” is, at least not at this point.
If it is indeed covered in a future lesson, you can be sure I will do so.

I just started after reading a few articles about how FCC changed someone’s life and I jumped in. I’ve been a little underwhelmed so far, considering all the press this site has gotten, but am learning as we go.

We are currently porting over the Guide (as I type this message) which resides on the master branch of the freeCodeCamp repo to the forum. We are currently not accepting any pull requests for the hint/solutions article during this transition. Once all of the articles have been moved to the forum and the master branch has been deployed to production, the Get a Hint button will then point to a topic on the forum. We are still working out the details of exactly how new suggested changes for the forum articles will work, but be assured we hope to make it easier than it was before (i.e. creating pull requests).

Also, the last time the hints/solutions were updated on the production site was mid October 2018. Since that time, there have been probably 300-400 stubs replaced with at least a valid solution and other articles have new hints or even more solutions added. Once all of these changes/additions are made live on the forum, you should see many less stubs in the first Sections 1-5. There are still several stubs in the Data Visualization and Coding Interview Prep section, so we will be looking to the community to help us add solutions to the applicable hints/solutions forum topics.

2 Likes

Hi there.
I didn’t think you actually did sit there hitting the button over and over. Maybe you didn’t see the smiley.

It has also been completely free of charge for that time as well. Had I paid for the course, I’d expect to not see stubs, but as it is completely free, I am grateful that the site exists at all. It’s not good to go on to a forum and complain about how “frustrating” something you don’t pay for is. The alternative is to sign up to Udemy, Treehouse and all of those paywall education sites.

“Google-fu”. Great! You may have learned more by searching, which is precisely what FCC encourages you to do, but I’d suggest a more privacy-centred search engine, such as qwant, searx, startpage or duckduckgo. You can also visit Stackexchange, but take note of the age of posts.

I suppose I did get ahead a bit with pull requests. They are part of Github, and how people to safely suggest changes to a ‘branch’, a version of files.
Assume you made some files and stored them on Github. Another coder can look at you files and suggest changes to them. All of your files are on a ‘master’ branch. The other coder can create a new, temporary branch to clone your file. It’s like copying a file and saving it with a new name. The other coder alters the cloned file on the temporary branch, and can request that you pull them into your original master branch. You read the changes made to the file, and if you like them, you accept the pull request. The cloned file now replaces your original in the master branch.

Why? Is it too easy for you? Please explain your opinion so that your comment can serve as useful feedback and a contribution.