Are there any mums and dads of small children learning how to code?

HI! I am 32, a mum of 16 months old toddler and I was wondering if there are any other parents struggling with learning how to code and with finding time to do so.
I have started learning from FCC about 2 years ago being pregnant but after completing css, html and some of the JavaScript courses I had a break for.more than 12 months (my child was born premature and I went through beautiful but difficult times).
Anyway I started coding again from September but It is so hard to do it regularly, I see posts where people write that they get a job after 3, 6, 9 months of learning coding and I know that will be not my case. I simply cannot do coding every day, I sit in front of the computer when my boy is in the nursery and when he is having afternoon nap. In the evening I am just too tired and the weekends I spend with my family.
Is there anyone who can relate to this?

5 Likes

About to become a father for the first time in 4 weeks and Iā€™m terrified of exactly what you posted about.

Iā€™m going to have to find a way of making it work somehow but I can see already itā€™s going to be a slog. Weā€™ll have to keep each other updated! :smiley:

2 Likes

Iā€™m 30, got two kids (4yr and 8 months).
I quit my job to go back to school, so I donā€™t have too much of a problems finding time.
I mean, sure I canā€™t sit all weekends. So I have to make the best of it while the oldest one is at preschool during the days.
My wife is currently on a parental leave, so she is home with the youngster while Iā€™m at school.

I try to see it as a fulltime job, so I study around 9-16 every weekday. But on weekends I spend time with my family and donā€™t study. You need to rest as well!

2 Likes

Time is always hard to find but if you want it you can find a way. We have 5 kids and I had heart surgery last month. Things happen, you miss days, but you keep going. I am deploying my first website through aws for a friend. It has been challenging and it isnā€™t done but without dedication and FCC I would never have gotten this far. Have faith, you can find time and succeed.

1 Like

My daughter is 18 now, but when I started learning more advanced web dev it was after she was born.

1. donā€™t beat yourself up, toddlers take up time
    I was in a bad position and ended up having to take any job I can get. I studied at night after she was asleep. It was pretty easy then to find Web Dev AND jobs (and reception, and customer service, and office assistant etc). It wasnā€™t until she was 6 that I got a full time coding job, and could freelance. I had to go back to web dev AND briefly after the economy tanked but I kept learning was able to get past the AND and back to full time dev.

2. being too tired is okay
    Doing a little bit whenever you have time is fine. If itā€™s important to you, you will find time. And your kid will be fine. In fact they will learn that you know something and that studying is good. Youā€™re being a role model.

Youā€™ll do fine, and this isnā€™t a race. Whatā€™s nice about FCC is that is here and keeps your progress even if you have to take breaks.

1 Like

Hi Malagossia :slight_smile:

I started learning on Maternity leave a few years ago and learned dribs and drabs along the way but with stress at work have not learned in over 8 months and I have nearly forgot everything. Not giving up though. I am starting an online course to get a Diploma and can then eventually leave my stressful job and do something that I love.
Donā€™t give up. Iā€™ve read so many stories on here about people in the same boat.
Weā€™ll do it :slight_smile:

1 Like

You got this Malagossia! :clap:

My kids are a little older (12 & 9 years old) which helps, but itā€™s still a juggling act for me with a full-time job, a round-trip commute to & from work thatā€™s over an hour long, volunteering at my kidsā€™ schools, taking a martial arts class 2-3 nights a week, and, somehow, making time for my family. Itā€™s tough, but I try to find time for coding either during my lunch break at work or after my kids have gone to bed. There are definitely days when Iā€™m not able to do any codingā€¦ I just tell myself that Iā€™ll try again another day. There are only so many hours in the day and thereā€™s only so much energy I haveā€¦ I have to remember to take care of myself too (like I should be getting more sleep :sleeping:)

Whatever youā€™re doing to learn to code doesnā€™t have to be perfectā€¦ I think it should be what works best for youā€¦ hopefully, that will help you stick with it longerā€¦ that and this part of the fCC forum for ā€œYou Can Do This!ā€ :smiley:

Thanks for sharing! Itā€™s nice to know Iā€™m not the only one trying to find time to code and am sometimes just too tired to spend any time on it :tired_face:

congrats
sleep in while you still can :joy:

1 Like

Hi @Malagossia I am a father of toddlers (less than 3 yo), main carer for them for 7hrs in the morning, then I work 9hrs in the afternoon. I fall asleep around midnight to wake up few time during the night. My kids wake up at 6am. I have usually 3-5hrs of interrupted sleep for last few years. Itā€™s roughā€¦
I wouldnā€™t say to give up but be realistic. A single person without comitments and family can dedicate easily 5hrs of studying a day. I can in the best scenario spend 2-3hrs of ā€˜learningā€™ and reading a week. You wont find a job if you wonā€™t put many hrs a week into studying and building projects for your portfolio.

Hi. I started to learn code last past year on the lunch time (two hours to spend somewhere outside) and every evening, from 9 to 12 pm. I already had a girl (almost 5 years old today) and theyā€™re two now (I know, I am a lucky guy :sunny: p). Now, Iā€™m 31 and Iā€™m trying to get freelance as a fullstack developer. As a involved dad, working in full time, I must wake up early and go to sleep as late as possible to improve myself, build my new carrer and keep motivation to the top. I even started to drink cofee (I always hated cofee :open_mouth:) ! Fortunately, my wife really helps me. No matter how is hard, no matter how much time it can be it, donā€™t give up, take your time and follow your way.

1 Like

@anon84136673 Good that you have someone who supports you. My family doesnā€™t give a fā€¦