Arithmetic arranger, how to debug interaction with test_module.py

Hi,

On my 3rd week of learning python now, enjoying it, apart from the inevitable head aches!

I’ve been writing my code in pycharm, rather than replit, as I know how to debug there. I’ve hardcoded calls to arithmetic_arranger into it, with the ‘problems’ from test_module.py formatted in a single pair of braces. Works great.

But test_module.py has them doubled, to contain the optional argument. Silly me, should have checked there first!

If I hardcode in double braces I get the understandable error ‘list’ object has no attribute ‘split’. Fair enough…

But then my code failed on the arguments at lines 41 and 51 of the test_module; it’s never done that in pycharm. ( ‘Operator must be ‘+’ or ‘-’.’ and ‘Error: Numbers must only contain digits’)

This is so different to it’s behaviour in pycharm that its got me stumped. And theres nothing helpful in the traceback (will post a screengrab of that if queried.)
So I was going to run test_module.py in pycharm, so I can step through its operation. But theres a lot in there thats new to me, calls to libraries/modules that are unfamiliar, and I’m wondering if that’s even the best strategy in this situation.

def arithmetic_arranger(problems, prnt_ans=None):

top_l =''
    btm_l =''
    dash_l =''
    ans_l =''

print(problems)
    for s in problems:
        if len(problems) > 5: return'Error: Too many problems.'
        lst = s.split()
        if not lst[0].isdigit() or not lst[2].isdigit(): return'Error: Numbers must only contain digits."'
        if len(lst[0]) > 4 or len(lst[2]) > 4: return'Error: Numbers cannot be more than four digits.'
        if lst[1] != '+' and lst[1] != "-": return"Error: Operator must be ' + ' or ' - '."

calc = {'+': lambda x, y: x + y, '-': lambda x, y: x - y}
        ans = str((calc[lst[1]](int(lst[0]), int(lst[2]))))

n = max(len(lst[0]) + 2, len(lst[2]) + 2, len(ans))
        top_l = top_l + " " * (n - len(lst[0])) + ((lst[0]) + '    ')
        btm_l = btm_l + ((lst[1]).ljust(n -len(lst[2]))  + (lst[2]) + '    ')
        dash_l = dash_l + "-" * n + '    '
        ans_l = ans_l + ans.rjust(n) + '    '

arranged_problems = (top_l.rstrip() + '\n' + btm_l.rstrip() + '\n' + dash_l.rstrip())
    if prnt_ans: arranged_problems = (top_l.rstrip() + '\n' + btm_l.rstrip() + '\n' + dash_l.rstrip() + '\n' + ans_l.rstrip())
    return arranged_problems

problems = [['44 + 815', '909 - 2', '45 + 43', '123 + 49', '888 + 40', '653 + 87']]
print(arithmetic_arranger(problems))

I ran it without the last 2 lines on replit. Its at https://replit.com/@moorea21/boilerplate-arithmetic-formatter-1#arithmetic_arranger.py but might have changed by the time anyone reads it.

Any debugging advice would be welcome here.

Reading the error message helps :wink:

Number 1:

- Error: Operator must be '+' or '-'.
+ Error: Operator must be ' + ' or ' - '.
?                          + +      + +

There shouldn’t be spaces around the operators.

Number 2:

- Error: Numbers must only contain digits.
+ Error: Numbers must only contain digits."
?                                         +

There is a random double-quotes in your string.
Also I do not know why the forum only colored in the second error… But if you are wondering, you’d need to look into the test-cases, which input to the assertion is the expected output and which is yours. Or just look which looks wrong, as indicated by the “+” in the “?” line.

Well that’s all rather embarrassing! I don’t remember changing those error statements, I cut and pasted them in from the markup, and never even looked at them again. Or so I thought… Thanks for that one, it works now.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.