Basic Algorithm Scripting - Title Case a Sentence (with iteration loops)

Hello there,

I’m rather stuck on this particular challenge. I have indeed read some of the solutions provided by others but I’m curious as to why I can’t get this iteration loop method to work. Also I’m not interested in just copying and pasting code from others just to pass the challenge as that’s really not the idea.

Code should be fairly self explanatory, it just splits the input string and stores it in a new variable, then a separate new variable is made which will slowly have the altered parts of the string added to it as array elements. Finally the join function puts it all back together as a string and returns it.

The alterations to the elements of the split string are just done with for loops iterating over them. However the challenge just will not accept this code and I have no idea why.

Thank you :slight_smile:

function titleCase(str) {

const tempStr = str.split(" ");
const newStr = [];

for (let i = 0; i < tempStr.length; i++)
{
  tempStr[i][0].toUpperCase();
  for (let j = 1; j < tempStr[i].length; j++)
  {
    tempStr[i][j].toLowerCase();
  }    
  newStr[i] = tempStr[i];
}

return newStr.join(" ");
}

titleCase("I'm a little tea pot");

Link to the challenge:

add this logging to your code

console.log('before  ', tempStr[i][0])
  console.log('after  ', tempStr[i][0])
1 Like
for (let i = 0; i < tempStr.length; i++) {
    for (let j = 1; j < tempStr[i].length; j++) {
    }
    newStr[i] = tempStr[i];
  }

You are just calling toUpperCase and toLowerCase but not doing anything with their return values.

Update: I see @admit8490 already pointed this out. My bad for not reading more carefully.

1 Like

string is not mutable
since you have split the string into smaller string
you cant modify it to upperCase directly
you should assign a new variable to store tempStr[i][0].toUpperCase(); value

and you dont have to loop over over to convert all character to lower string individually

for (let j = 1; j < tempStr[i].length; j++)
  {
  } 

instead you can directly convert the lower string aside from first character .toLowerCase();

Oh my that’s a lot of replies very quickly. I didn’t expect that. I have some reading to do! I’ll get on it and then later today I’ll report back, thanks :slight_smile:

And thanks to your help here is the code:

function titleCase(str) {

const tempStr = str.split(" ");

const newStr = [];

for (let i = 0; i < tempStr.length; i++)
  {
    newStr[i] = tempStr[i][0].toUpperCase() + tempStr[i].slice(1).toLowerCase();
    console.log(newStr[i]);
  }

return newStr.join(" ");
}

titleCase("I'm a little tea pot");

And it works! :slight_smile: I had a bit of trouble with the lowercase part but when I re-read some of the solutions offered by others I realised I could use the slice function followed by a toLowerCase function and that fixed that. Your replies have been very helpful, I didn’t realise at all that I was not doing anything with the return values from the toUpper and toLower functions. Thanks :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.