Basic JavaScript - Record Collection

Tell us what’s happening:

I’m a little confused by the wording of this problem and having been working on this for a few hours now. I have looked at other people’s videos/answers and tutorials but I am still getting stuck so I’m hoping someone can help me understand what I am missing from my code and can help me understand. When it runs through testing I see this error “After updateRecords(recordCollection, 2468, “tracks”, “Free”), tracks should have the string 1999 as the first element.”

I think I need to utilize .push() somewhere but the wording of the problem has me spinning my wheels and I am getting extremely discouraged. Please help!

Your code so far

// Setup
const recordCollection = {
  2548: {
    albumTitle: 'Slippery When Wet',
    artist: 'Bon Jovi',
    tracks: ['Let It Rock', 'You Give Love a Bad Name']
  },
  2468: {
    albumTitle: '1999',
    artist: 'Prince',
    tracks: ['1999', 'Little Red Corvette']
  },
  1245: {
    artist: 'Robert Palmer',
    tracks: []
  },
  5439: {
    albumTitle: 'ABBA Gold'
  }
};
// Only change code below this line
function updateRecords(records, id, prop, value) {
  if(value === ""){
    delete records[id][prop];
  }
  else if(prop !== "tracks" && value !== ""){
    records[id][prop] = value;
  }
  else if(prop === "tracks" && value !== ""){
    records[id][prop] = [value];

} 
  return records;
}
updateRecords(recordCollection, 5439, 'artist', 'ABBA');

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/118.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

Challenge Information:

Basic JavaScript - Record Collection

Welcome to fCC Forum @badsaint !

The above part of the code may need some adjustments using boolean with records.

Hint: May require using .hasOwnProperty within this portion of the code.

I have to admit, this is very challenging step. And, it makes it difficult to not just provide the solution. But, I am sure, like I did after some time on it, you will succeed, too.

I hope my hints help you succeed.

But, if you are still confused, please do not hesitate to post that here on this post so others can help guide you to the solution?

Keep up the great progress!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.