Basic javascript: Word Blanks... instructions are confusing

are the directions telling me to provide 8 variables for the function? (the dog…and the cat, 4 each). The directions are ambiguous.
I mean, the JS itself is fairly simple. I can write working code that’ll run in brackets or the chrome developer, but FCC is looking for something very specific. The directions, like 3/4 of all the other problems read like they’re written by someone who didn’t take the time to convey expectations. I could have completed the entire course by now but 90% of my effort is spent on parsing the directions.

function wordBlanks(myNoun, myAdjective, myVerb, myAdverb) {
// Your code below this line
var result = " ";
result += " my " + myNoun + " is " + myAdjective + " and he "+ myVerb + " very " +myAdverb;

// Your code above this line
return result;
}

// Change the words here to test your function
wordBlanks(“dog”, “big”, “ran”, “quickly”);

What am I misunderstanding , given this code…BTW, I’m not using curly quotes. The problem wants me to pass in 8 string literals into 4 function variables. Are we supposed to loop through the function twice?

1 Like

If you can be more specific about what information you think is missing or inaccurate in the challenge, someone can address it.

thanks for the quick response.
the following is what I get when I run the code above:

wordBlanks(“dog”, “big”, “ran”, “quickly”) should contain all of the passed in words separated by non-word characters (and any additional words in your madlib).

wordBlanks(“cat”, “little”, “hit”, “slowly”) should contain all of the passed in words separated by non-word characters (and any additional words in your madlib).

// tests completed

Don’t forget the requirment that all the words be surrounded by spaces.

oh crap, that was it…lol…
thanks

Glad to help. Happy coding.

// running tests

wordBlanks(“cat”, “little”, “hit”, “slowly”) should contain all of the passed in words separated by non-word characters (and any additional words in your madlib).

// tests completed

People can’t help you unless we can see your code.

First of all the challenge itself is not clear with poorly framed and confusing question. Despite reading multiple times I don’t understand what the question expects. Can the FreeCodeCamp look after this question and change it?

I saw few feedbacks asking to use the following: (but did not work)
result+= “My “+myAdjective+” “+myNoun+” “+myVerb+” very “+myAdverb+”.”;

So I used the following and it worked:
return ("The " + myAdjective + " " + myNoun + " " + myVerb + " " + myAdverb);
{note: you need to delete “return result” before executing}

1 Like

with the new update there is a new version of the challenge up, if you want to take a look