Becoming a Full-Stack Web developer in 7 Months

I got stuck with redirecting but it does not matter too much. I will use the tool which gets the job done and I generally think Python on the backend suits my needs better than JavaScript. The reason for that I will show you when I finally finish my first App with a backend :slight_smile:

Btw. what is a chingu?

Well I did after some struggle not manage to get that damn app deployed. It was a quite simple app where you could enter your age, sex and class you wanted to book for a tour on the titanic. Based on the input a probablity was calculated and served as string for the template which got rendered on the frontend. So here we go… I guess working like that has nothing to do with real web development.

In 3 days I will have an appointment with a senior front end dev on my company, who will show my how they work on Apps which use heavy machine learning processes and work with a large amount of data. He told me they use Vue.js. I´ve read about Vue.js and it seems to be easier than React.js and Angular. Anyone here with any relevant experience?
Really looking forward for that appointment :slight_smile:

I´m finally back with some news. Yes, I struggled a lot and bad problems with my motivation, but I kept working of course and did not give up. Here is my first App build with a JavaScript framework. I jumped on Vue.JS and so far I really like it. There is a ton of stuff to learn but it really starts to make more sense and the resistance to work on it gets smaller with each step of progress.

You can see the App and explanations here:

I 1,5 weeks there will be christmas holidays where I really want to improve me skills with Vue!

1 Like

Next Update here: Finally things start to come together and get interesting.

You can visit my Domain: ds-gym.de and login with “jack” and “password”. You will have access to two very basic apps.

I use an awesome piece of software called “shinyproxy” (https://www.shinyproxy.io/) which was developed to make it easy to host Data Science related Apps. I use Nginx as reverse proxy to redirect to port 8080. The Apps you can see live inside a Docker Container, which makes the whole system scaleable. Integrating a VueJS App is a HUGE step for me :slight_smile:

Feedback as always very welcome :slight_smile:

The Apps and the system still look like crap, but everything is customizeable. Now it´s all about the system :wink:

1 Like

Just upgraded my website to HTTPS. There are 10 hours udemy courses on SSL and i had a look on it… was boring and frustrating. Then I found this:

3 minutes later my website was secured. This is just fucking awesome!

1 Like

I will be following you man. I am on the same road as you are.

Thank you. At the moment I do a lot of Linux stuff, which is quite hard but enjoyable if it works. I worked on my website “ds-gym.de”. I improved another significant step right now.

I set up multiple Docker images:

1. A MySQL Database, which handles the user data of my keycloak instance (used the volume API to write the data from the container to my FS, so not data gets lost when the container stops)
  2. My Keycloak instance itself
  3. ShinyProxy, which handles multiple containers with Apps.

Works good so far, next step is to build everything up with docker-compose. Everything behind that like Docker-Swarm or even Kubernetes seems to be a massive Overkill right now.

Strange where our plans lead us at the end, right? :slight_smile:

Hello guys,

again, I did not quit or anything. I took my time to learn a bit more of Vue.js and built a Portfolio Website with it. I dockerized my Application and serve with with Nginx. Actually a quite simple workflow.

You can access my website on data-mastery.com

I would really appreciate comments and tips regarding the website :-). Login for my projects is not implemented yet, this will take some more time. Right now its all about the style and feel.

Thank you

No feedback? :frowning:

Anyway, just did a new update. Keycloak is redesigned, Logging in works. The style of the platform itself will be changed, but at the moment motivation to do this is quite low. I have other priorities right now anyway.
Next thing I will do is working on my Python skills and getting better at wrangling data.

1 Like

Hell of some nuggets to help me with my journey to become a full stack. Thanks for the share and for the info. I really learnt a lot especially when you mentioned something about not just jumping from one tut to another without grasping concepts and ideas behind. From today onwards, I will start building something using knowledge gained from previous lectures before moving forward.

Once again. Thanks buddie

1 Like

Hi @Data-Mastery,

I checked out your site and really like it! The transitions are a nice touch between pages. The background image is excellent too. I also like the way you simulated typing on the home page. Overall, I enjoy the theme.

The only thing I noticed was that your site icon that pops up with the title of the tab is still the default Vue.js image. Other than that, it looks like you’re learning quite a bit and applying your knowledge pretty well. Thanks for sharing your journey here!

1 Like

Thank you very much for your feedback. Worked on it integrated the suggested favicon. The last 3 weeks I worked on a Udemy couse which you can see in “Projects”. It is called “Data Wrangling with the tidyverse”. It is an R course, not the best of couse, but I did it anyways.
Btw. my Job role changed, in 1 week my official job title is “Data Scientist” :-).

1 Like

Yes, I like the combination of Math and Web dev/Software engineering. For a current reason: I have build a prediction dashboard for the corono virus:

https://data-mastery.com/

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZy_1KJFW0A&t=1s

Hello everybody,

14 days ago I postet the link with the prediction for 14 days and hell… my model totally underestimated the reality. I also never thought about the impact this might have on my life. I´m stuck in my little flat in Munich, can not meet friends, gyms are closed. My Job is on “Short-work” (thanks I live in Germany where you can not be just instantly fired) for 60% and I try to not just go insane.

I know I know, many people struggle much harder and this only scares me. I hope this nightmare will soon end. Trust in math: Each pandemic has to follow a logistic curve and let´s hope we will soon enter the decreasing part of the function. Stay healthy and sane, good luck to everybody. I will come up with a plan what to do with my increased freetime in 2 days…

Hello everybody,

I did not post for a verrrry long time. Corona was and is very bad, my company still struggles but I put a lot of work into my projects and I can now say I am where I wanted to be one year ago. I learned different stuff, but I am able to develop Full Stack Applications, deploy them with Docker and use some Machine Learning Techniques in these projects.

If anyone is interested, I have 5 Projects on my website: https://data-mastery.com/ . I especially like the titanic project

Never give up, keep on working and you will archieve your goals. The journey is of course not over, it has just begun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sehr gut! Thanks for sharing your journey.