BUG: Solana Curriculum won't create container

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I’ve followed all the steps but each time I do step 3 ( 3. Press Ctrl / Cmd + Shift + P to open the command palette, and run Dev Containers: Rebuild Container and Reopen in Container. VS Code will build the container to run the projects in, it will take a few minutes the first time.) the container creation fails.

1 Like

Hello there,

Would you mind sharing more information?

• What errors do you see?
  • When do you see the errors?
  • What is the output of running node tooling/camper-info.js from the workspace root?

EDIT: I had to edit a bunch of the links because it wouldn’t let me send it with them written as it was.

So it seems like it’s an issue specific to M1 Macs. I’m running on a MacBook Pro and I found on the GitHub page for the course that there seems to be an issue with the solana installer defaulting to the incorrect CPU during install.

The following error is what I get when it tries to create the container:

[2023-04-11T23:26:29.095Z] #0 0.641 downloading stable installer

#0 0.905 curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 403

#0 0.911 solana-install-init: command failed: downloader release .solana.com/stable/solana-install-init-aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu /tmp/tmp.Ilz64o6v1l/solana-install-init

------

[2023-04-11T23:26:29.095Z] ERROR: failed to solve: executor failed running [/bin/sh -c sh -c “$(curl -sSfL release .solana.com/stable/install)”]: exit code: 1

Ah yes. Thank you for following up.

Did anything in the issue help you get it up and running in the end?

I managed to kind of get it working with gitpod but it’s not a perfect workaround. But it works! Got stuck on a certain part but that’s due to me jumping in without really learning node.js or rust yet.

After doing the front-end courses, this is definitely a much more interesting, but advanced, course. :slight_smile:

Nice job :rocket:

Personally, I have not verified the whole Solana Curriculum can be done in Gitpod. So, keep that in mind. I know the current Web3 and NEAR curricula can, though.

The courses do expect a pretty decent knowledge of Nodejs, but provided you know some, and are willing to put in time for extra research/learning along the way, it might be an excellent excuse to learn.

Yeah, I saw in the comments of the issues page on GitHub that there may be some things that can’t be done in the SOL course on Gitpod. I’ll cross those bridges when I get to them, but for now it’s a great excuse to learn node.js and start learning the SOL chain dev stuff. :slight_smile:

2 posts were split to a new topic: Solana Curriculum: unable to start course

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.