Build a Random Quote Machine - character limit problem

Build a Random Quote Machine - character limit problem

Hi everyone,

I’ve nearly finished the Build a Random Quote Machine challenge but I’m stuck on a strange problem. No matter what I set the character limit to in the JavaScript some of the tweets say they’re over Twitter’s character limit of 140. I believe it has to do with the message string being URL encoded, but I don’t know how to fix it, or even if it’s possible!

My CodePen for the challenge is here: Alidek: Random Quote Machine Challenge

Any solutions, feedback or advice will be gratefully received!

Edit: moved post to the General forum as it seemed more appropriate than the Project Feedback forum.

thanks,
Ali

I don’t know much about Twitter but I do know that there is a 140 character limit.

I suppose you could break it into more than one tweet. Or there are services that will break tweets up for you - I don’t know if they can be interfaced with an API. Or truncate it.

I just sent it to twitter and let the user deal with it. OK, not the best solution, but hey, I was just starting out.

Thanks for your quick response, ksjazzguitar.

I’ve already truncated it but it didn’t work because I was truncating the original string, not the string encoded into the URL. It’s calculating the character count on the URL string query, not the text itself. So the tweet:

Whenever I have an idea I write it down, even if it’s not a very good idea. Sometimes the bad… #quotes https://quotesondesign.com/ (133 characters)

Ends up as…

Whenever%20I%20have%20an%20idea%20I%20write%20it%20down%2C%20even%20if%20it%27s%20not%20a%20very%20good%20idea.%20Sometimes%20the%20bad…%20%23quotes% (151 characters).

I tried setting the character limit after decodeURIComponent() but that didn’t work. I need to find out how to truncate the URL encoded string, not the original string. I’m assuming there’s no way to send the tweet without it being encoded into a URL string. :frowning:

thanks,
Ali

Woo hoo! I fixed it!

I needed to use encodeURIComponent(phrase) first to turn it into the URL string complete with %20 for each space.

I then checked if the resulting string was longer than 99 characters (so that there are spare characters for the hashtag and URL).

If it was larger than that I used
var num = phrase.lastIndexOf(’%20’);
phrase = phrase.substring(0,num);

to find the last URI encoded space in the phrase and truncate it at that point, so it wasn’t cutting the string off part way through a word.

The CodePen is working for me now. If anyone else finds an error please let me know so I can fix it before submitting this challenge!

cheers,
Ali

I’m no expert here, but mine seems to be calculating it based on the length of the string, not the URI encoding.

But I used a different approach:

window.open("https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=" + text + ";hashtags=" + hashtags, "width=500,height=300");

Thanks again, ksjazzguitar! I’ll have to try your approach. It looks a lot neater than my code!

cheers,
Ali