I have a concept in mind, but I don’t really know how to properly describe it in “dev terms” and would like some advice on how to start.
Essentially, I would like to build a customizable virtual floorplan, with the usual room components like chairs, desks etc. Once I create a floorplan, I’d like to be able to generate a “unique” embed code that one can embed in another third-party website. The floorplan would ideally be interactive.
Imagine a university library with study spaces for students. A floorplan for the study spaces/desks is designed and saved using the “builder”. A embed code is generated, and is embedded into the library’s website. The floorplan is rendered on the library website. Students with accounts or some form of individualized login via a simple form or UI, can then mark a study space as occupied or not, via the library website.
Ideally the workflow would be as such:
- design a floorplan in a “builder” or maybe just html/css/js
- save the floorplan to database - layout, coordinates etc.
- generate an embed code snippet unique to the floorplan
- embed code in another website/url, so that it will render the floorplan on the website
- third party users can interact with floorplan elements
- said changes are reflected on the embedded floorplan
Is this a big project? Where does one start? In the simplest form, what am I trying to build? What tech stack do I need - a CMS, can this be done in pure HTML/CSS/JS?
I really have a minimal grasp of this, so any tips on quantifying this and how best to direct my research efforts is greatly, greatly appreciated.
This is one of those problems where you have a question but don’t even know what to Google.