Calculator project question

Can you retype the example FCC Calculate and make changes? Then submit for your own with changes.

I work hard on that and it’s almost perfect. It’s just missing the keyboard link, so you use the number pad to input.

If you’re retyping the example then it’s not your own.

Make the project from scratch, with your own code, style and content. Don’t take code from the sample project.

• The projects aren’t just another challenge. Each one is meant to be a significant step in your progress. Every project you do will require research, planning, trial and error, and strengthening your skills beyond what you gain from the incremental challenges.
2 Likes

I researched every line in that code, to understand it. I like the reg expressions and plan to keep them, but why give an example we can’t use. here is my code so far.

// Vars
const projectName = "freeCodeCamper Calculator";
const ccOperators = /[x/+-]/,
	operatorEndings = /[x+-/]$/,
	negativeSignEndings = /\d[x+-/]{1}-$/,
	clearStyle = { background: "#cc3300" },
	operatorStyle = { background: "#669999" },
	equalsStyle = {
		background: "#6666ff",
		position: "absolute",
		height: 120,
		bottom: 5
	};
class Calculator extends React.Components {
	constructor(props) {
		super(props);
		this.state = {
			input: "0",
			prevInput: "0",
			topRibbin: "",
			sign: "pos",
			lastInput: ""
		};
		this.limitWarning= this.limitWarning.bind(this);
		this.handleOperators= this.handleOperators.bind(this);
		this.handleEvaluate= this.handleEvaluate.bind(this);
		this.restart = this.restart.bind(this);
		this.handleDecimal= this.handleDecimal.bind(this);
		this.handleNumbers= this.handleNumbers.bind(this);

}
	handleLimitWarning() {
		this.setState({
			input: 'Limit Met',
			prevInput: this.state.input
		});
	}

handleOperators(e) {
		const value= e.target.value;
		const {topRibbin, prevInput, evaluated}= this.state;

});
	}
}

I don’t want to do anything wrong.

free code camp example.
https://codepen.io/freeCodeCamp/full/wgGVVX

remember the academic honesty policy you agreed to

it’s not code you wrote so you can’t use it to claim the certificate

3 Likes

So is what I wrote above plagiarism?

are you taking the sample project, forking (or copying the code in some way), changing few things and submitting?

Idk how to get around that. I feel it’s similar.it isn’t the same. Can I get an opinion of some higher up?

@Roma

Apologies for stepping on a soapbox here, but this attitude will be your biggest obstacle on the road to becoming a good developer.

Just passing an fCC challenge with copied code doesn’t make you better. You’ve passed a challenge and gained nothing. If you want to get better, you must build stuff yourself, fail, make mistakes, figure them out and learn from them.

Ok, I will trash that and just restart.

That’s the spirit :love_you_gesture:
Whenever you get stuck, the forum is here to help out.

A slight dissenting voice here: you’ve been doing this for what seems like about nine months, give or take (I think that’s about right?). Just get this submitted and out of the way and start another project that is not the calculator. You are sinking so much time into something that is supposed to be a slightly challenging beginner project, and imo you need to do something different, because a lot of the time you just seem to be going round and round in circles. You find it very hard, I understand that, but hard in this instance should translate to a few weeks of frustrating work that ends up with a finished calculator, definitely not the length of time you’ve been on it. If it is important to you to get this submitted, if it works, submit it and put it away. Then start something different and finish it, don’t keep restarting over and over and over again.

1 Like

I left for a while to get my head straight and looked js over and over on different apps. (soloLearn, grasshopper, ms learn, and plural sight.) seems to help. But when I look at the screen I go blank. Being 50 is no fun.

1 Like