Can I learn machine learning and make basic projects without a dedicated graphics card?

Can I learn machine learning and make basic projects without a dedicated graphics card?

I don’t know how to explain myself. I don’t want to make REALLY complex projects or anything. I just want to make basic models(like, not TOO simple, not TOO complex…get me?).
Do I need a computer with a dedicated GPU?
Can the M1 Macbooks handle machine learning?
Or will I just have to get a GPU?

Thank you!!

If you do not want to do advanced stuff in Neural Networks, NLP or Computer Vision. A simple GPU is Ok.
I use a Ryzen processor (not a big deal), and Scikit Learn, Tensorflow, and most of the keras works well.
I suppose the Macbooks would work better (Though I never have used one).

1 Like

M1 Macbooks should work fine. They’re designed to handle this and should do so very easily, if apple’s advertising is correct. Caveat that, though I like Macs a lot, that seems a very expensive way to do things: even with graphics cards currently sitting at inflated prices, you could probably get a reasonable laptop with discrete graphics and a desktop with a beefy graphics card for the same price. M1 Macs are very nice computers though, so if you’ve got the cash :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Where I live, they’re pretty affordable. I would buy laptops with beefier GPUs if it wasn’t for the HUGE amounts of power they consume.
Resulting in very very bad battery life.
I would never have considered a MacBook if they didn’t have the m1 chips.

1 Like

I added up the costs of a laptop with dedicated RTX graphics(3050ti) and a computer with high-end(3050ti) graphics. And it cost 3 times as much as the MacBook. :frowning_face:

The m1s GPUs are better than the iris xe graphics found on windows laptops. Keeping that in mind, what should I buy. (I want good battery life though). If there is no way, I can DO ANY machine learning on the MacBook, I’ll just get a gaming laptop with good graphics.

Theoretically the M1 would be better in performance
As I said, my GPU is “Medium Range”, and it works pretty well.

1 Like

Do you mind sharing it :slightly_smiling_face:

You should not worry too much about the GPU. You will make ML with your skills. You just need a functional GPU, not the best GPU.
The more knowledge you have about what you want to do in ML, less time the project will take.

2 Likes

Oh okay…so I don’t need much? THANKS A LOT~!!1

1 Like

So…the m1 will do? I’m getting it for other things, like video editing…but that’s besidaaee the point

So will it work? I am asking because you deleted your post.

Yes but that’s high end graphics – a MacBook with an M1 will in theory do small scale stuff really well, so I was comparing to other systems that will do similarly well. In UK, M1 MacBook with reasonable RAM and a halfway decent SSD is ~£2.5k+, so yes, you can get two perfectly reasonable, powerful systems for the same price, particularly if they’re refurbished (for example). If you want the shiniest of shiny new things, then yes, prices will be comparable.

If Macs are reasonably priced where and the usecase fits, then sure do that, I’m not trying to dissuade you. They are extremely nice computers and they should do what you want, they’re just also at the extreme end of pricing for consumer laptops is all.

Video editing is pretty seriously intensive though?

1 Like

Most computers can handle H.264 At 1080p.
But at 4k and above, they really struggle.
And those that can, have power-hungry GPUs.

I don’t want to spend a fortune…but I want good battery life too. For video editing, the m1 MacBooks seem to be amazing. But I’d be great if it could do machine learning as well. Will it be able to?

You can learn on any computer that works reasonably well. If you do eventually end up wanting to expand and grow your projects, you’ll probably want to be doing that through a distributed service rather than your personal computer.

Use your current computer or buy a new one if you like, but don’t worry about making decisions based on your desire to learn ML skills.

4 Likes

Yes, almost for sure will. I deleted my post because I was diving out of topic. What I was trying to say is that even with a simple and “old” one, you still can do some basic ML things.
The device you are planning to buy is more than enough.
The rest of ML will rest in your skills. Have a good day.

1 Like

Oh, okay. Thanks a lot!

Thank you very much for your advice.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.