Can you get a job without a programming job without a highschool diploma?

Thanks for the response! As to whether or not I am bullied, no I am not. I have many good friends and am well liked by all the other students. The problem is with the teachers, in a sense they are really my bullies.
You emphasized that doing things you don’t like is important, and I couldn’t possibly agree more. Grit, determination, and hardwork are the most important things to being succesful. However, whats the point of gritting it out, perservering in school if its not accomplishing anything? There is a very big difference between perservering with something hard that matters (like doing FCC algorithms for 4 hours a day) and perserving for something hard that is pointless(studying 3 hours for a history exam).
You also said it helps you deal with difficult people, right? Well I think that is pointless as well. If there really is some point in my life where there is someone difficult in my life, I’m going to do whatever I can to make sure I don’t have to deal with them. One thing I’m not going to do is deal with people who hate me just for the sake of getting “experience” with hateful people (i.e. getting yelled at by teachers to "build character. no. fuck that.)
And as far as being hireable, I’m not dropping out of highschool really, I’m just switching schools really. I am doing an off-campus program for an accredited private school(and my credits I’ve already earned will transfer), so that I can get an accredited diploma and transcripts. After about 2 years of programming on my own through FCC and working on projects that intrest me(I want to work on a website peerunschooling.net, build a website to track my progress in weightlifting, and maybe I’ll help local businesses out with building websites.) I’ll graduate. Afterwards, I’m going to apply to Praxis to kickstart my carreer. So I’m not too worried about my plan.
Thanks for the advice, good luck with your programming and I hope you get to paint!

In the UK, it’s generally quite easy to get a second chance these days… The whole education system is basically geared to make it super easy (and free!) to get the equivalent of a High School Diploma (GCSEs), whilst also giving a lot of support so you can get a level 3 qualification (through a learning loan if you’re over 24 think, which is basically a student loan which in turn is really more like a tax in the UK, as it’s written off by the time you turn 50 if you still haven’t paid it back).

That being said, it’s always preferable to stick with high school. It’s basically a meme these days for those who have left school to say “life was so much easier at school”, but it’s true. You’ll have more of an uphill battle to get to that level after dropping out, and the fact you chose to drop out will be factored into it. Also, America doesn’t seem as flexible for adult learners as the UK, at least from my understanding of the US education system.

Why not check in with your IT department/IT teachers and explain to them you’re learning from FCC? They might find it really cool you’re going out of your way to learn above and beyond the requirements for IT within school, and provide genuine help and support (as well as put a good word in to other teachers if you struggle with other subjects… They’ll realise it’s not because you’re not committed, as you can demonstrate all this extra work). They might even ask if you’d like to volunteer to help them out (which will look bloody brilliant on any CV). Also, why not look at volunteering in your community? I used to volunteer for a local Oxfam Bookshop’s online store, it basically required me to fill in the information of each book they wanted to sell online (generally the higher priced items), I actually got a lot of enjoyment out of it and felt Iwas helping make a difference in some small way.

Plus, school’s will probably get on your back much less if they see you’re doing a lot of stuff extra-curricular. A good teacher is wanting to give you the tools to live and work successfully in the real world, at the end of the day.

Even though I didn’t revise for exams and failed to hand in some coursework, I still ended up with grades good enough to get into university. I’m not one of these people that says they wish they’d done better either… I did the best I possibly could with my mental health at that time. At the least make sure your complete it, even if it’s not your best work. That’s my opinion!

@DorInTheWall

This. Well said.

@UnschoolAcademy

Truth is, sometimes life sucks and you just have to get through it - whatever “it” is. Even if it seems like there is no point to it. The ability to just get through it is the entire point. But, sounds like you have your mind already made up. Good luck with that.

This is understandable to a certain degree, but at any job, you’re going to have to work with difficult people. It’s just part of life. You may not be bullied at work, but chances are you’ll be forced to work with people you don’t like. Maybe they’re rude, or arrogant, or poor listeners (which can confusing if the person is nice otherwise…“Just listen to what I’m saying! I hate you right now! But you’re kind of okay sometimes…”). Maybe they have all the worst qualities a person can have and you can’t imagine how they still have a job. But you might still have to work with them, and showing that you can still work with difficult people will make you look great to any higher-ups.

It’s also a good skill to have for life. I’ve found that learning to work with difficult people, while stressful at times, has made it so that the stress and anger doesn’t stick with me as long. It doesn’t get to me like it used to, and that’s made me happier in general.

However, just to be clear, I’m not advocating that people stay in toxic environments. Just to learn to shrug off the little stuff. I’ve had a few instances where someone was difficult to work with, but I stuck it through, and in the end we were able to create some great work together. Had I not stuck with it, I would’ve lost a valuable learning opportunity.

Why are people still coming down on him when he’s already said he’s looking into an alternate plan for finishing high school?

I have to chime in here and agree. The thing is: a lot of kids are dropping out - for whatever reason. If you’re bored, try asking teachers for something that is going to challenge you. In the meantime, you can work on your coding. But, graduating high school, weathering whatever adversity may be popping up during your high school years, this shows a prospective employer that not only did you stick it out, but you continued coding during that time! This is always a positive thing and shows that you’re willing to do whatever it takes (within reason, of course) to “get the job done” and do it right!
Hang in there, baby! You won’t be sorry! Don’t be one of those with dreams, but no drive. You’ll end up flipping burgers at Micky Ds. Not a fun prospect for someone with your talents.

Referring to “unschooling” as being homeschooled? Absolutely! I believe in homeschooling wholeheartedly because you learn waaaaaaaay more being homeschooled. You’re not held back because of the other kids in the class and can go at your own pace. Not sure where you live, but in Oregon, USA, all it takes is for your parents to declare to the state that you’re being homeschooled, then follow through with the teaching. The state does require that you take exams, which if you’re being taught at home, you’ll ace! It IS different in each state, I don’t know about abroad.
If homeschooling had been available when I was growing up, I would have jumped on it and avoided all of the bullying I endured (once at knifepoint!) just because.
If you do that, and stick to it, I think you’ll get a lot more satisfaction out of your schooling and prospective employers will know you stuck it out and know you got a better education! Although, history IS necessary and fascinating if you really pay attention what you’re studying. For without a knowledge of history, we are doomed to repeat it. Scary thought! Of course, you’ll definitely need math for coding. There are other subjects you need to learn to have a well-rounded education. And, if you have even a spark of an inkling of interest in music, I highly recommend it, as musical learning will help and accelerate your other studies. If not, you might try art. Even if you’re “not good at it,” relax, that’s not the point.
There are some very good homeschool curriculums, including the “classical” method. A little research and you can find the best fit for your temperament and learning style.
Good luck!
Please take my other reply with a grain of salt because I was not aware you were talking about being homeschooled. :blush: However, what I said about sticking it out, applies.
PS, I did graduate high school.

Thanks for your opinion! I’m suprised people are still on this thread and giving advice! I’m glad you are supportive of my decision to homeschool myself. So many of the people in this thread are so arrogant, thinking that just because they finished highschool they are somehow better than me, and that I should finish it otherwise my only option is being a hobo or working at mcdonalds. I am going to learn so much more from teaching myself at home, and just to be safe, I’m enrolling in an umbrella school, so I can still get an accredited diploma.

1 Like

Just finish out mate. If you can get a job while in high school? great. However even if you do manage to land a job, youll find it hard moving on from that job onto another one later on. Your only a junior. Just hold out 2 years and your set. Keep learning though but at this time in your life no responsibilities, tons of free time, you should think if highschool graduation as a deadline. Not as a crutch.

Cool! Just be sure it’s a good one because, believe it or not, you can still get great education in your remaining 2 years. :blush:

Yeah but how does home schooling teach someone someone how to be social, make friends, have a social life?

Teachers are trained professionals, a parent isn’t going to match that.

School surrounds a child with friends, how to deal with bullies, and exposes them to real world and other people.

1 Like

@John-freeCodeCamp, those are common objections to homeschooling.

In the original poster’s case, he’s been going to regular school for years, so he’s developed social skills, made friends, will continue his social life with them. You aren’t allowed to socialize much in class, anyway.

His parents won’t be teaching him in this case; he’ll have fully licensed teachers in his online courses. But even when kids do learn at home with their parents as their primary teachers, the parents can be every bit as good as a classroom teacher. They give one-on-one attention, guidance, evaluation/feedback, while kids in classrooms often fall through the cracks when they’re not interested or having trouble but not asking for help. Parents who care enough to homeschool their kids find other teaching resources for areas where they might not know enough themselves to instruct in a subject. They get teachers’ editions of textbooks, join groups of homeschoolers, etc. so they have help and resources to turn to when they need them.

Most homeschoolers don’t just learn at home. They visit areas in their communities such as museums, farms, nature areas. They participate in sports and other activities. There are events just for homeschoolers. He won’t miss out on real-world experiences, even if he does limit his homeschooling to online courses.

The fact is, most homeschoolers learn better than kids in schools. They take a more active role in learning. They get far more individualized attention and guidance, whether from a parent, an online teacher or a community resource. They waste a lot less time waiting for others to finish the work or understand a concept so the learning can continue. They have to meet educational requirements, same as kids in regular schools.

(Sorry if this was long-winded. Virtual education is a big interest of mine, and the homeschooled people I’ve known have been very well educated - and are adept socially, as well.)

1 Like

Parents also have jobs, It would be a big inconvenience. Plus from what i know, homeschooling can only be 2 hours out of the normal 6-7 hours regular school day. Again its not any other child but himself fault if hes falling through the cracks. Pay attention and you will learn. Just send them to regular school, your paying taxes.

Most homeschoolers don’t just learn at home. They visit areas in their communities such as museums, farms, nature areas. They participate in sports and other activities. There are events just for homeschoolers. He won’t miss out on real-world experiences, even if he does limit his homeschooling to online courses.

Just send them to school. This is what they do.

Don’t, Do NOT drop out. You’d be surprised how often I think to myself at 28, “I wish I would have finished school and gone on to college!!”

High school drop out checking in, life has been quite a struggle since I dropped out. Let me tell you, having your name on that diploma makes so many things so much easier, things you cant even imagine at the moment… You might hate it now, but you’ll hate it even more if you drop out and then have things not go as you’re hoping they do, or not have the results you’re after soon enough… Which will be the reality… All the “I did it in x Weeks” Are amazing feel good stories but they are not the normal. My experience has taken me two years to just get a footing. While working.

If I could go back in time and do it over I would Finish high school, get my diploma. Regardless of all the drama and things I thought were a waste of time, sacrificing then friends and partying, and fun. To get the studying done, to pass the tests. To get into a good school. To get the things I needed to get done in high school so that the future me would be set up, and well off now.
And since I had found such an amazing resource like FreeCodeCamp, I would continue to teach myself to code. Building projects and contributing to open source projects and communities, building a portfolio.
Then once I have my diploma, and skills that some people dont gain until after going through 2 years of college to get. I could take a year off and pursue some web development opportunities, or take my chances on entrepreneur ventures Like starting the business I always wanted! Or decide, Like I have now I want to go back to college.

Or make the worst mistake you can and go throw away 10 years to drug addiction, and working away in a kitchen, or as a landscaper… and then feel like you’re 10 years too late.
and be competing for jobs against the kids like you who will have learned this stuff for fun while they were in school.

But no matter what you decide, in the end I truly hope you will at the least finish high school. You have no idea the magnitude of the mistake dropping out because “You hate it”. would be…

If you do drop out… At the least, you’ll need your G.E.D. Or what I call my Good Enough Diploma.

He’s in high school, @John-freeCodeCamp, so his parents don’t need to be home with him. If he attends an online school, his parents won’t need to teach him.

You’re right that homeschoolers might not spend 6 hours a day in class, but think back to when you were in high school. Did you spend all 6 hours learning? I didn’t. There was a lot of time watching the clock, wasted days as teachers reviewed lessons for the kids who didn’t understand them the first time around, being bored by subjects I didn’t care about. Better two hours of quality time engaged in active learning than wasting hours every day.

I disagree that it’s a child’s fault if he falls through the cracks. (By the way, I wasn’t referring to the OP when I wrote about kids falling through the cracks.) It is the teacher’s job to ensure that every student progresses, but when you have 20+ kids and limited time (especially if that time is diverted to maintaining discipline), you simply can’t coach every student to A-level performance. Kids don’t always want to pay attention, they don’t always want to learn, and often when they’re bored it has nothing to do with wanting a challenge. They are essentially in school because we force them to be, and too many of them graduate with a high school diploma more because they put in the time than because they learned anything. That’s a waste of our tax dollars.

Getting back to the OP, he wants to focus on learning to code, so he will likely put in far more than two hours a day doing just that, plus time for subjects required to graduate. He’s choosing a way that better meets his needs.

1 Like

High school prepares you also for a job. You can’t work 2of your intended 6 hour shift and wake up whenever you would like, just learn to do what your being told by a person in charge. A teacher can only do so much about a child’s learning, before its on them to learn. School is meant to learn, not for fun. I did wish they taught more useful stuff like programming and engineering, not a whole unit on the history of other religions that i really don’t care about (i’m a Christian). High school teaches you how to grow up and not fall behind socially. Adapt to being a young adult and prepare you for collage. 2 hours a day isn’t enough for doing papers in every class like in a real high school setting. What about relationships? Your Friends? Future colleagues?

Wow you are really good at writing and ELA it seems like. I feel like i’m auguring with a author lol nice :slight_smile:

Thanks, @John-freeCodeCamp. It’s easy enough for me to write in a forum, not so easy in other circumstances.

I agree that most jobs expect you to show up and stay for the whole work day, but I don’t think that someone will be unable to do that just because he was homeschooled. It’s far more important to actively involve yourself in your education than to just put in x amount of hours of attendance.

Homeschooling, or online schooling, may allow students to choose their learning times, but they still must meet due dates and work under the direction of teachers. And kids generally learn to follow directions from their parents.

I’m with you on wishing schools taught more useful things, though not everyone wants or needs to learn programming and engineering - but those classes should be offered. Online schools generally offer a wider variety of courses, though students still need to meet requirements. So someone who wants to focus on programming will have more options for that, though some kind of social studies will also be required.

You mentioned being a Christian. I’d argue that it’s worthwhile for people of all religions to learn about other religions. It helps to understand why people believe and practice the way they do, and it helps us all live together better. Even if you believe your way is the only right way (and remember, people of several other faiths feel exactly the same about their way), it’s worth at least knowing something about those other ways. I actually loved my high school world religions course; it was fascinating. But if it’s not your thing, leave that course to others and take something else, like economics.

I agree that two hours a day isn’t enough to write papers. People don’t generally write papers in class. They do that as homework. And by the way, two hours a day of class time isn’t the rule for all homeschooled or online students. It’s more like what each individual student needs to put in timewise.

Studies show that homeschooled students generally do quite well in college. They already know how to apply themselves to their coursework. They are very well prepared academically for college - if they choose to attend college.

Again re relationships, most socializing occurs outside of class. Homeschooled kids see their friends after school, at sports, parties, church, etc. Future colleagues will come in college.

Back to your being a Christian: Many people homeschool their kids because they want to educate them from a Christian perspective. There are organizations and networks and vendors of textbooks that exist just for Christian homeschooling. The kids are not isolated; they often meet with other Christian homeschooled kids, developing friendships with other families with shared beliefs and values.

You may not like the idea of homeschooling or virtual (online) schools for yourself or your own kids. It’s not for everyone, but it’s a valid choice for others, and the education they get is generally very good.

2 Likes

John,
I’ve known many homeschooled children and they are far from isolated. And, trust me, being in a public school or even a private one, does not guarantee that a child will learn how to deal with bullies, quite the opposite, in fact.
As for teachers being “trained professionals?” Pish-posh! I have to, once again, disagree. There are more horrid teachers than I care to admit, having had a few myself AND having heard horror stories from many others about bad teachers.
Here’s a point to consider, does a “trained professional” love you more than your parents? Unequivocally, no!
Can a “trained professional” give a child all the personal attention he/she needs? Again, no.
Is a child, if he/she is extremely bright, held back because the rest of the class is going at the prescribed pace? YES!!
Are extremist groups introducing these weird and unnatural ways of thinking that are, by the very nature of the pressure being brought to bear, causing kids to jumping on the bandwagon? YES!!! Have schools deleted art, music, and sports classes because they are “unnecessary?” YES!!!

In a homeschool environment, a child will, once again, have a well-rounded education. And, there are some really great homeschool curricula. If it gets to the point where it’s past a parent’s capability, then other arrangements can be made.

Plus, in social activities, that are scheduled BTW, you get to pick (mostly) who you will be surrounded by, friends - or at least people who will tolerate you.

If I had a wish, every child would be homeschooled.

2 Likes

Ewww, really? Do you hear yourself?

Ok, so he made the mistake of saying he was “dropping out” of school. Sometimes we say things that aren’t so clear to others. Firstly, he made a link with the word, "unschooled."
If you had clicked (or tapped) on that link, then it all would have been clear. He wants to “transfer” from public school to homeschool. So, he’s willing to continue his education and FCC, to boot.

Why did I say, “ewww?” You’re making a huge assumption that he, not even maybe, but will turn into a drug addict! How insulting can you be? I think he’s awfully brave (or foolhardy) to put his thoughts out there, in a public forum, such as this. And here we are, chalk up another bully. Wow, please, please try not to assume the worst in people. He’s trying and doing a lot better than most kids his age.

Please be kind.

Mahalo!

2 Likes

Bully for you on your update. BTW, I referred to you as “he” in some of my responses to others, and beg your forgiveness if that is not correct. :blush: