Can you get a job without a programming job without a highschool diploma?

Though it seems all the 'trend, these days, actually I would not recommend that I one took a (very tedious) course in Philosophy, logic, and thought to myself ‘how on earth’ am I ever going to use this ? Well, turns out it is super important when looking at FPGAS, or knowing what a ‘truth table’ is.

I was really shocked, I knew this stuff.

You can probably get a job. but it won’t teach you much about ‘life’.

I know they say ‘fail fast, fail hard’, but that is only for the ‘dummies’, or those who got ‘really lucky’-- I would not bench it as a truth to ‘live on’.

In my opinion, the best thing school teaches is Patience, in a world (reasonably) we’re never patient.

Surrounding yourself with friends and a social life can help you make good decisions. “Hey i know my friend might be interested in this job, so ill recommend him.”

More people, more educational high school vo-tech programs.

Some people are not as lucky as the children you know. My neighbor was home schooled, since 5 grade. He is 21 years old now, and has barely recovered mentally from this. Hem was never taught to deal with bullies, being social, and making friends. A kid cant just be locked up in a house for months on end for homeschooling. Its not good stress wise (friends make you happy) and figuring out what you want to do with your life. Its healthy to get out, see the world.

This thread seems to have veered off from the original question, and some great points have definitely been made on both sides, for either pro-homeschool or pro-high school. That said, I’m not really sure the OP is still around to consider everyone’s points, but I’ll put in my two cents anyway. :wink:

While I definitely concede that homeschooling is a viable option for some people in unique circumstances, overall I’m inclined to say that most people shouldn’t do it for a variety of reasons. I’ll grant that homeschooling probably provides a better education when it comes to the academics, but high school, and life in general, is more than just academics. Additionally, for anyone who intends on going to college as well, it’s probably a better idea to finish high school than to drop out, as college admissions officers tend to look at the entire individual—not just academics, but also extracurricular activities like sports, music, volunteering, hobbies, etc, which can all have a positive effect. IMO, anyone who drops out of high school because it’s “boring” isn’t doing it right. Plus, high school offers some crucial things that homeschooling either won’t or just won’t be as strict about, like the importance of physical fitness, and being rounded out with basic education on the essential stuff that every American citizen should know (history, civics, writing, foreign languages, science, math). If high schools only taught stuff that was “practical”, they’d be basically churning out students ignorant of their place in time and their community/city/state/country/world, and how could that be a good thing?

High school is also about the “sociocultural” experience to an extent as well, and it’s one of the most formative times in every person’s life to make potentially life-long friends, try out “dating,” and go to things like school dances and other school-related events. There’s no way that homeschooling can fill in for all of that, and I’d wager that anyone placing more importance on homeschooling for academics is missing the point of high school. Of course it’s not about the education in American high schools today. That’s what college is for anyway. High school is more for the experience of friends & early romances and other general life skills. If you’re not learning that in high school, then IMO that’s just unfortunate. Plus, I’d be willing to bet that most homeschooled kids end up getting the shock of their lives when/if they go off to college, while those who finish high school would likely be better prepared for that transition.

Dont assume next time.
Speaking from personal experience.
Good luck to OP.

Good luck to you aswell BBs

@John-freeCodeCamp, you just can’t equate homeschooling with locking a kid up in a house. Keeping kids isolated is never good, but the vast majority of homeschoolers are not kept isolated. In fact, for kids who live in remote areas where they aren’t near other kids/people, it gives them a chance to interact online.

Homeschoolers often plan regular events for their kids to learn/play/socialize with others, and of course, the kids can see other kids after school in their neighborhood, at scout meetings, church, community center events, sports leagues, dance lessons, clubs, summer camp, etc.

Regarding learning to deal with bullies, very few kids ever find a way to stop being bullied. They get in trouble if they fight back. Teachers tell them not to be tattle-tales if they try to report it or ask for help. Ignoring the bullies rarely does anything but allow the bullies to continue mocking or tormenting them. Anti-bullying campaigns may be helping, but when I was growing up, bullied kids just suffered for years on end. Kids have occasionally been killed by bullies. Others have committed suicide because of bullying, and then there are the ones that bring a gun to school and start killing everyone around them after years of trying to deal with bullying. Homeschooling can bring relief from that and a chance for the kid to socialize successfully (without the bullies around).

1 Like

You really think with all of this technology kids are going outside? Online is nothing social, anyone can type.

I am a homeschooler, and I agree with this. I can be a lot more flexible and spend my time working on hobbies I like such as programming. And I get together with friends every day and visit the public school for activites often.

1 Like

Some moderators have discussed this thread and agreed that, given the fact that the OP has updated the initial post to make the original question redundant, it is a suitable time to close the topic.

People have expressed some strong feelings about the pros and cons of Homeschooling leading to a derail of the topic. However since most people involved only have their own school / homeschool experiences to draw upon, everything that can be said probably has already.

2 Likes