Can you use CSS grid and bootstrap?

Hi, I’m working on the HTML previewer FCC project and wanted to use CSS grid… but I wanted to use the browser portability of bootstrap too. I’m new to using the front end libraries and would like some insights as to what libraries work together.

CSS grid seems very easy to use while the endless nested div tags of bootstrap remind me of table tags (with better control and a ton of browser compatability features). Is there a way to have the ease of CSS grids and the browser standards benefits of bootstrap?

Still a work in progress (using a grid is mostly academic), here is my markup project. https://codepen.io/c-healey/full/YdRZBW

Thank you in advance for your thoughts
C

Yes, you should be able to. You might run into a compatibility issue, but I would expect that for the most part they would play well together. But whatever browser portability you want from BS, you can probably get somewhere else.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the insight. Could you elaborate on why I would want to get my portability from somewhere else? And where…other than using the @media in my CSS?

In your opinion is BS obsolete? It’s base on JQuery which i’ve read is now considered ‘older tech’

Thank you
C

Thanks for the insigt. Could you elaborate on why I would want to get my portability from somewhere else?

I just try and get the bare minimum of what I want from the smallest library possible. There is no need to import all of BS just to get a few things. There might be ways to mitigate that, but it’s a basic principle.

And where…other than using the @media in my CSS?

Sorry, I don’t know. I’m mostly doing mobile now. It may also be possible to import just the parts of BS you want - you’d have to check.

In your opinion is BS obsolete? It’s base on JQuery which i’ve read is now considered ‘older tech’

I wouldn’t go that far. When BS and JQ came out, they solved some difficult problems. Improvements in CSS and JS have fixed a lot of those. They aren’t worthless, but they are less important than they used to be. But they can be useful in the sense that there are a lot of web sites that still use them and will be for some time. My advice to a young developer would be, “Learn JQ and BS, but don’t only learn JQ and BS.” Get familiar with them and use them a little, and then move on and learn some more things. Never stop learning new things.

Thank you, there is a lot to learn.

Thank you, there is a lot to learn.

You have no idea. Every time you think you’re nearing a peak, you’ll crest it to find another higher one behind it. But that’s part of the joy of web dev - it never stops growing and changing.

lol. I have some idea… i’m feeling ‘thick as a brick’ right now… on to the next project drum machine and trying to use freesound.org javascript api.