Can't customize Bootstrap navbar

I have been using the navbar from Bootstrap and added my own custom class. I have found that even doing so it really isn’t effecting those changes. Most of them gets overridden even tho i have my custom css linked last. Some of the features like background color only get effected if I use the !important tag .

One of the things I really don’t like about Bootstrap is that they use !important in bunch of their styles, so in order to change them you have to !important too.

Thanks for the reply. I found out that with chrome tool. Can I use !important tag in all elements of the nav bar? including sizing, color and maybe a little animation?
Also is there another alternative of navbar in any framework?

You can use !important, but you want to do it as little as possible. It’s really bad practice (as I said, one of the things I don’t like about Bootstrap). There are other libraries that will have similar elements. You could also create your own. Or deal with Bootstrap. Up to you.

Thank you for the replies. I think I will learn more about it and try to customize it on my own as I’ve seen many templates which do so.