Can't pass this challenge

Tell us what’s happening:
I have wasted 2 hours already on this stuff. It’s really NOT fair, wasting so much time.

I have followed the instructions to the letter, cloned everything on my computer, did the update according to ‘Get a hint’ solution approach, pushed to github, generated a live app link and when I submit it, all i get is package.json should have a valid “author” key.

So what else should I do?

Your project link(s)

solution: https://yellowflash2012.github.io/boilerplate-npm

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; CrOS x86_64 13816.82.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/90.0.4430.218 Safari/537.36

Challenge: How to Use package.json, the Core of Any Node.js Project or npm Package

Link to the challenge:

Welcome there,

I notice you are using GitHub pages to host your domain. However, GitHub pages is unable to host fullstack apps, which are required for this section of the curriculum. So, unless you have configured another hosting provider for your backend, and are just using GitHub pages for your front end, the tests cannot work.

To clarify, you are required to host a Node and Express app, for these lessons. GitHub pages is not capable of doing so. If you are familiar with setting up complex fullstack applications, then feel free to use any hosting provider you like, but we provide a link to Replit to make the setup easy for the less experienced.

Hope this clarifies.

Hello, thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. What you just said was never said on the challenge page. The way it is worded on the challenge page is that we have the option between 3 possibilities, github being one of them. That’s how I understood it.

Now, talking about replit. I went that way today and pasted the link in the challenge page but I continued getting the same error message: package.json should have a valid “author” key

Here is the link: https://repl.it/github/freeCodeCamp/boilerplate-npm

As of now, I have no clue wht to do anymore. Can you check and let me know?

Also, please kindly remove any mention of github from the challenge page. It’ll help a ton.

for replit, you need to use the live app link: when you run the code the preview open, if you notice there is an url bar in the preview, and you can copy that link there to submit to test

Also, yes, github is a possibility - it allows for local development and can be used in conjunction with full-stack hosting services like Heroku or Netlify

also this is the freecodecamp link, you should maybe save the project to your replit account, or open your github fork with replit

Thank you, for giving your feedback. However, I see no reason to do this, as the description is succinct and accurate. Any fewer links/words has caused more confusion, in the past, and any more words has caused more confusion, because people tend not to read everything.

The challenges can be completed in many ways, and freeCodeCamp provides the code necessary to do so, as well as a simpler starter (Replit). It is up to the freeCodeCamp community to keep the methods/code up-to-date, and it is up to each respective Camper to do their own research about the tool they use to accomplish the tasks.

As mentioned, there is a link to the GitHub repo, because, in order for the challenges to be completable outside of Replit, the code must be provided - so it is.

Happy coding.

I wouldn’t mind:

• Switching the order of the list to have the repl link come first so beginners are more likely to pick that option.

• Make the host requirement in the challenge description clear.

Yes, if you did some research you would figure it out I’m sure, but why make the introduction to a new subject harder than it has to be. Also, I’m talking about tiny changes here.

For what it’s worth, I was lost on this statement

When you are done, make sure a working demo of your project is hosted somewhere public.

I used Replit so I assumed by using it, I’m hosting it publicly. Having a problem passing the test, I checked the forum and found out that I need to click a button to open the app in a new tab (after starting the app). Judging from the forum traffic, I believe it is a common roadblock for many. Perhaps adding a sentence like “When using Replit, you need to open the running app in a new tab for the tests to work correctly.” or something to that effect would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Thanks for your insight. After many trials, I finally understood the process.

What a frustration it has been.

But since we are supposed to code on our own computers, is it smart to learn and depend on an online ide?

After many trials and errors, I finally figured out what to do. I’m pretty persuaded that other learners will stumble at this in the future.

We need to figure out a way to make the description of the process clear for all.

Thanks for your “help”.

an online ide means you do not need to worry about setting up your local environment, and you still need to have a live app to submit, codepen first and now replit are platforms that offer that easily.
setting up local environment is a chore and an hassle, and anything can go wrong - it was decided to avoid that added stress for new learners, but eventually it has to be done

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.