Career advice for hummanities degree holders

hi all,
i just wanted to hear your story with the same journey like me
is there anyone here who has bachelor in Hummanities (particularly history) learning how to code?

I was a music major and know more than a few devs that have “unconventional” degrees. Some places will only hire CS grads, but many places care more about what you know and what you can build. Some places even like getting people with varied backgrounds.

1 Like

In 2009 I graduated with a degree in Humanities (Literature focus) and Communications. Today I am a senior software developer. There’s no reason that someone with a liberal arts degree can’t learn this.

2 Likes

Hi @wardanijayanti!

Welcome to the forum!

As mentioned earlier, there are plenty of people who successfully transitioned into tech careers from non tech degrees.

Here are some more success stories from the FCC podcast.

From HS english teacher to software engineer

How and army vet ent from english major to full stack developer

From writer to developer

3 Likes

i have the credentials on paper, but i have met, through work, others who came via different backgrounds and went to coding bootcamps who can code circles around me. it just really depends on personal engagement with coding. i think maybe 10 or 15 years ago computer science seemed out of reach for many, but “coding” seems more within reach these days, and now for those groups that feel like coding is within reach, it really appeals to some of them and they like it, thus they excel.

Poli Sci guy here.

I’ve worked my entire life outside of my degree field. My perspective is it just doesn’t matter other than it making slightly harder to get past HR screening cold.

At the end of the day, all companies need hard workers who care about their jobs. There are very few jobs in the world where what you learn in school gives you a skillset you can’t teach yourself or learn on the job.

I’m switching careers and learning code full-time here. The fact that I have a Poli Sci degree instead of a CS degree isn’t even a blip on the radar in terms of concern to me.

The other thing I’ve found is that companies that will be more receptive to you are companies that hire based upon attitude and behavior as opposed to skills and abilities, and those are usually the best companies to work for, because they’re focused on the quality of people rather than technical skillsets.

Good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.