Cash register: Official tests don't cover an edge case

Hello all,
I just solved the Cash Register challenge and found an edge case in the Cash Register challenge that is not covered by the test cases provided. The most common approach to this problem is taking as much of the highest possible currency in each step. If you program this approach, you will pass all test cases.

However, there is one edge case where the approach above leads to a wrong solution: When we use an odd number of Quarters in our change, we could make it so we can no longer return the correct change.

Example:
changeDue = 0.31
cid = [[“PENNY”, 0.01], [“NICKEL”, 0], [“DIME”, 0.3], [“QUARTER”, 0.25]]
The usual approach would give out a quarter first. If you do this however, it is no longer possible to return the exact change with the remaining money.
It is possible to give out exact change though: [[“DIME”, 0.3], [“PENNY”, 0.01]]

I programmed a version of checkCashRegister() that accounts for this edge case. I fixed the issue described above by saving copies of the cid and changeDue if we return an odd number of nickels.

// Save copies of cid and changeDue, in case of QUARTER error
    if (currencyName == "QUARTER" && currencyUnits % 2 == 1) {
      cidCopy = [...cid].slice(0,i+1);
      cidCopy[i][1] -= 0.25;  // take away one quarter
      changeDueCopy = changeDue;
    }

If the usual approach returns that exact change isn’t possible, we try again starting from the copied elements and using one less quarter.

quarterErrorCheck = checkCashRegister(0, changeDueCopy, cidCopy); 
  if (quarterErrorCheck.status == "OPEN") { // if giving out a quarter leads to exact change
    let fixIndex = change.indexOf(change.find((currency) => currency[0] == "QUARTER"));
    // combine old solution up to Quarter with new solution starting from quarter:
    change = change.slice(0,fixIndex).concat(quarterErrorCheck.change); 
    statusOpen.change = change;
    return statusOpen;
  } else {
    return statusClosed;
  }

I’m not sure if this edge case should be added to the challenge or what should happen in general. I couldn’t find anyone mention this edge case on the forums. All solutions I found online also don’t account for this edge case, including Youtube tutorials and articles. Because of that, I wanted to make this post to showcase this interesting edge case, as it also makes it so a single for-loop can’t solve the problem by itself. I decided to challenge myself and solve the challenge in a way that accounts for this extra edge case. You can see my full code below.

Little bonus fact: This issue also happens in a similar way if you used Euros instead of Dollars. There are cents in the values 1c, 2c, 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c
We actually have two issues here: 5c is not a multiple of 2c and 50c is not a multiple of 20c.
If you were to program a Euro version of this challenge, you would have to account for both of these edge cases.

Full Code:

function checkCashRegister(price, cash, cid) {
  let changeDue = cash - price;

let change = [];
  let statusInsufficient = {status: "INSUFFICIENT_FUNDS", change: []};
  let statusClosed = {status: "CLOSED", change: cid}
  let statusOpen = {status: "OPEN", change: change}

var quarterErrorCheck;
  var cidCopy;
  var changeDueCopy;

const currencies = {
  "PENNY": 0.01,
  "NICKEL": 0.05,
  "DIME": 0.10,
  "QUARTER": 0.25,
  "ONE": 1,
  "FIVE": 5,
  "TEN": 10,
  "TWENTY": 20,
  "ONE HUNDRED": 100
  }

cid = cid.filter((currency) => (changeDue >= (currencies[currency[0]]))) // remove currencies too big
            .filter((currency) => currency[1] > 0); // remove non-available currencies
  let cidFunds = cid.reduce((sum, curr) => {  // get total funds available
      return sum + curr[1];
  },0);
  cidFunds = parseFloat(cidFunds.toFixed(2)); // round to 2 decimal places

if (cidFunds < changeDue) {  // return if current funds not enough for the change due
    return statusInsufficient;
  } else if (cidFunds == changeDue) { // return if current funds are equal to change due
    return statusClosed;
  }

// Last case to check for: Can we return the exact change due?
  for (let i=cid.length-1; i >= 0; i--) {
    let currencyName = cid[i][0]; 
    let currencyTotal = cid[i][1]; 
    if (currencyTotal > changeDue) { // only focus on values of that currency below change due
      currencyTotal = changeDue;
    }
    let currencyValue = currencies[currencyName]; // value of a single currency unit
    let currencyUnits = Math.floor((currencyTotal / currencyValue))  ;  // how many of those units to give out?

// Save copies of cid and changeDue, in case of QUARTER error (see below)
    if (currencyName == "QUARTER" && currencyUnits % 2 == 1) {
      cidCopy = [...cid].slice(0,i+1);
      cidCopy[i][1] -= 0.25;  // take away one quarter
      changeDueCopy = changeDue;
    }

if (currencyUnits != 0) {
      let currencyChange = Number((currencyUnits * currencyValue).toFixed(2).replace(/[.]?0+$/, "")); // how much of this unit to give in total?
      changeDue = Number(changeDue - currencyChange).toFixed(2);  
      change.push([currencyName, currencyChange]);
    }
    if (changeDue == 0) {
      return statusOpen;
    }

}

/*
  QUARTER ERROR FIX:
  The usual approach is taking as much currency of the highest possible currency in each step. This leads to  
  the correct change in most cases, since each currency unit is a multiple of the one before:
  Nickel = Penny * 5, Dime = Nickel * 5, Dollar = Quarter * 4, etc.
  However, there is one exception: A Quarter is not a multiple of a Dime. This can lead to issues.

Example:
  If we have changeDue = 0.31, and cid = [["PENNY", 0.01], ["NICKEL", 0], ["DIME", 0.3], ["QUARTER", 0.25]]
  then we can give out exact change [['DIME', 0.3], ['PENNY',0.01]] 
  However, the usual approach as described above would try to use the Quarter as change first then will not
  have enough of the other currencies to give out the exact change. Therefore, it will return status = "CLOSED"

I solve this issue by making a copy of the changeDue and cid if the amount of nickels given out is odd. We 
  don't need to check when the amount is even, as even amounts of Nickels are a multiple of dimes.
  Then, we try solving the Exact Change problem just as before, but this time we give out one fewer Nickel 
  as change than last time. 
  */
  quarterErrorCheck = checkCashRegister(0, changeDueCopy, cidCopy); 
  if (quarterErrorCheck.status == "OPEN") { // if giving out a quarter leads to exact change
    let fixIndex = change.indexOf(change.find((currency) => currency[0] == "QUARTER"));
    // combine old solution up to Quarter with new solution starting from quarter:
    change = change.slice(0,fixIndex).concat(quarterErrorCheck.change); 
    return statusOpen;
  } else {
    return statusClosed;
  }

}

//checkCashRegister(19.5, 20, [["PENNY", 1.01], ["NICKEL", 2.05], ["DIME", 3.1], ["QUARTER", 4.25], ["ONE", 90]///, ["FIVE", 55], ["TEN", 20], ["TWENTY", 60], ["ONE HUNDRED", 100]]);

console.log(checkCashRegister(0.69, 1, [["PENNY", 0.05], ["NICKEL", 0], ["DIME", 3], ["QUARTER", 3], ["ONE", 90], ["FIVE", 55], ["TEN", 20], ["TWENTY", 60], ["ONE HUNDRED", 100]]))

//console.log(checkCashRegister(3.26, 100, [["PENNY", 1.01], ["NICKEL", 2.05], ["DIME", 3.1], ["QUARTER", 4.25]///, ["ONE", 90], ["FIVE", 55], ["TEN", 20], ["TWENTY", 60], ["ONE HUNDRED", 100]]))

//console.log(checkCashRegister(19.5, 20, [["PENNY", 1.01], ["NICKEL", 2.05], ["DIME", 3.1], ["QUARTER", 4.25], //["ONE", 90], ["FIVE", 55], ["TEN", 20], ["TWENTY", 60], ["ONE HUNDRED", 100]]));

//console.log(checkCashRegister(3.26, 100, [["PENNY", 1.01], ["NICKEL", 2.05], ["DIME", 3.1], ["QUARTER", 4.25]//, ["ONE", 90], ["FIVE", 55], ["TEN", 20], ["TWENTY", 60], ["ONE HUNDRED", 100]]));

Challenge: JavaScript Algorithms and Data Structures Projects - Cash Register

Link to the challenge:

We intentionally picked all test cases so a greedy algorithm works.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.