City Skyline "background" CSS error

Tell us what’s happening:
Describe your issue in detail here.

The error message I’m getting is that I need to apply background to .bb1a even though I already have. I’ve looked up the background code on two different websites and both show that my code is how background is used so I do not understand why it’s showing an error. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

**Your code so far**
.bb1a {
  width: 70%;
  height: 10%;
  background-color: var(--building-color1);
  background: linear-gradient(--building-color1, --window-color1);
}  
  **Your browser information:**

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/100.0.4896.127 Safari/537.36 OPR/86.0.4363.70

Challenge: Step 40

Link to the challenge:

Look at how the background-color property is using the CSS custom properties (or variables if you prefer). You need to do the same thing for your new background property. Hint: You are leaving something out.

I fixed it, thanks for your help!

I am struggling with this one still… What is missing in the background property?

There are a few things. Mainly small.

The most important thing missing was “var” from the custom CSS inputs you created in the :root.

A couple of brackets as well, but proper use of the variables will provide correction on those syntax errors.

Should read:

.bb1a {
  width: 70%;
  height: 10%;
  background-color: var(--building-color1);
  background: linear-gradient( **var(**--building-color1**)**, **var(**--window-color1);
}  

I’ve marked the missing components of the code with asterisks for ease of recognition.

Because you made these variables in your :root, you MUST call them using this method:

var(--variable-color);

OR in combination, seperated with a comma, and stated again using ‘var()’.

linear-gradient( var(--variable-color1), var(--variable-color2));

Sometimes it just takes a minute to slow down, and match your brackets to one another to make sure you have complete statements.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank you so much for helping me out with this one, much appreciated!!!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.