Code Problem - Array Madness

Hello everyone! Here is link to the problem: https://www.codewars.com/kata/56ff6a70e1a63ccdfa0001b1/train/javascript

I have squared all elements of the first array, and I have squared all elements of the second array. Then, I added up the sum in each array. I then am stating "if sumOfResultOne is greater than sumOfResultTwo, then return ‘true’. Else if the sumOfResultTwo is greater than sumOfResult One, then return ‘false’. I don’t see why this code is not working ):

function arrayMadness(a, b) {
  let resultOne = a.map(x => x ** 2);
  console.log(resultOne);

let resultTwo = b.map(x => x ** 2);
  console.log(resultTwo);

const sumOfResultOne = resultOne.reduce((acc, cur) => acc + cur, 0);
  const sumOfResultTwo = resultTwo.reduce((acc, cur) => acc + cur, 0);

if (sumOfResultOne > sumOfResultTwo) {
    return true;
  } else if (sumOfResultTwo > sumOfResultOne) {
    return false;
 }
}

NVM! Result two is supposed to be cubed. Changed code to this and it worked

function arrayMadness(a, b) {
  let resultOne = a.map(x => x ** 2);
  console.log(resultOne);

let resultTwo = b.map(x => x ** 3);
  console.log(resultTwo);

const sumOfResultOne = resultOne.reduce((acc, cur) => acc + cur, 0);
  const sumOfResultTwo = resultTwo.reduce((acc, cur) => acc + cur, 0);

if (sumOfResultOne > sumOfResultTwo) {
    return true;
  } else if (sumOfResultTwo > sumOfResultOne) {
    return false;
}
  }
1 Like

^ Doesn’t seem to be part of the requirements, not that it should stop you from thinking about it.

Wouldn’t it be easier to just have the two reduce calls and put all the math inside them? I mean it just seems like an excessive amount of looping.

I’m trying to get to the point where I can solve the problems. Then, after I am able to pretty much solve any problem, “tweak” the code to make it like the way you said. This is just the only way I could think of.

That is a perfectly fine approach. I’m just saying that the math performed in the map() fits quite well inside the reduce().

I know reduce() is usually taught to beginners using addition (which is fine) but just make sure that doesn’t limit you to all the options it really gives you. It is a powerful method and only using it for addition would be a shame.

In this case, what I’m suggesting isn’t really much different than using it for addition, just with some extra math tacked on to the addition.

I wish I were able to think more on my feet with the built-in JavaScript functions like reduce(). It’s just very abstract and I’ve only learned to do it for addition, subtraction, etc etc lol. but I had it wrong because I was doing ** 2 and not ** 3 for a cube lol

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.