Codepen isn't previewing code properly

No matter what I do I cant get the text “What is the section you like the most on our blog?”
to show up in the preview. I think it is something wrong with codepen but maybe I need a fresh a set of eyes. Here is the link: https://codepen.io/RVD1611/pen/poNrJXb

And the code:

Golden Ticket Movie Reviews
Survey Form

Thank you for taking the time to make our community better

Name:
Email:
What is your favorite movie genre?

Double check if you correctly closed all the elements before :wink:

Thanks Michael,
I didn’t realize I had to close out the select tag as well. Appreciate the time to look at my code and respond. I was going crazy trying to figure it out. Lol

1 Like

Yeah, most of the time it’s simple issues like that, that are hard to figure out. If there’s a problem with the logic, you’ll be able to spot that relatively quickly most of the time, but when something like this happens, it’s always a bit tough.

Just don’t loose courage and keep looking. Additionally in this precise situation what I did was add a simple h1 element and noticed, that it wasn’t showing up either. So it was obvious, that somehow something was preventing this, and just by the nature of how the code is executed I just went up and looked for typos or simple errors like this.

So that’s just a small piece of specific advice, generally speaking you will get better at spotting these mistakes with time (at least that what if feels like to me).

If I am struggling for a while I paste my code into a validator like https://validator.w3.org/

Alternatively there are validator browser extensions.

I would suggest switching the Syntax Highlighting on Codepen, it can really help catch errors.

Go to your Codepen profile settings. Under Editor Preferences switch the Syntax Highlighting to Oceanic Dark and save the setting.

Go back to the pen and make sure your new setting is working, the code highlighting will be using different colors. If there are issues you should see tags marked in red. That is the new Syntax Highlighting showing you where the problems are.

Press the down arrow to the right of the HTML code box and select “Analyze HTML” then do the same for the CSS.

@dontbecypher16, I’m late in responding and you’ve got a lot of good information from the previous responses. There is one further thing you need to be aware of;
You have many elements out of order. Doesn’t matter if it’s local or codepen, elements need to be in order.
Now codepen does provide the boilerplate for you. It only expects the code you’d put within the body element in the HTML editor. (No need to include the body tags). For anything you want to add to the <head> element click on the ‘Settings’ button, then HTML and add it into the ‘Stuff for <head>’ box.
But seeing as how you have elements out of order help yourself by reviewing this for an understanding of the HTML boilerplate tags.

And on a side note, do not use the <br> element to force line breaks or spacing. That’s what CSS is for.