Compare Scopes of the var and let Keywords-gt

Tell us what’s happening:
I understand that let allows us to use more specific local scope in the code block. Can someone please explain how this code is executing line by line?
I feel slighlty confused as to understanding what each lines does in this code.

Your code so far

function checkScope() {
"use strict";
  let i = "function scope";
  if (true) {
   let i = "block scope";
    console.log("Block scope i is: ", i);
  }
   console.log("Function scope i is: ", i);

return i;
}
let test = checkScope();
console.log(test)

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/76.0.3809.100 Safari/537.36.

Link to the challenge:
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/es6/compare-scopes-of-the-var-and-let-keywords

I figured out something , i am not sure if my logic is correct but let me share this:

"use strict";
  let i = "apple";
  if (true) {
   let i = "mango";
    console.log("Block scope i is: ", i);
  }
   console.log("Function scope i is: ", i);

return i;
}
let test = checkScope();
console.log(test) ```

if we use `let` instead of `var` then i defined within if statement has scope only within if statement.
 `i` defined outside the if statement block is considered to be in function block , will have scope within the function block. if we use `var` then the later value( mango) takes precedence and value of i will remain as mango regardless of where we call it.
2 Likes

In your code

you’re basically saying that i = “function scope”
and doing zero tests on your if ( so it will always be true )
meaning it will always run the code in it’s block which is where you’re logging
and just after that block it will always execute the following line outside the block since it’s not an else
and give you back your variable which u returned

2 Likes

Hi @gaurav_t!

You figured it out. Your logic on your second post is correct.

Considering the second post (with apple and mango), let’s check the results.

Using let:

Block scope i is:  mango
Function scope i is:  apple
apple

Using var:

Block scope i is:  mango
Function scope i is:  mango
mango

That’s happening because with var the code var i = "mango" inside the if statement is overriding the code var i = "apple".
Since var is a function scope declaration, if you declare it again, even inside another block, but in the same function, you’ll be given the variable another value.

With let this won’t happen, since let is block scope. So, for every block of code, you can declare a variable with the same name and they will have their value only inside that block (unless you are returning the value for another function or something).

Just be sure to avoid doing this, name each variable with something meaningful to make it easier for you and others to read your code. Usually, you will only see variables using the same name in loops. Names like (i for index).

Line by line:

function checkScope() {
/*-----------------------function scope------------------------*/
"use strict";
  let i = "apple"; /* i is declared and given the value of a string "apple". */
/*-----------------------block scope------------------------*/
  if (true) {
   let i = "mango"; /* i is declared again, but since "let" is block scope, this is not the same i as above.
It is a new "i variable" that will only have the string value of "mango" inside this block. */
    console.log("Block scope i is: ", i); /* log will be called and the value of i here is "mango". */
  }
/*-----------------------block scope------------------------*/
   console.log("Function scope i is: ", i);  /* log will be called and the value of i here is "apple".
That's because it's value was not replaced by the value of the variable i declared
inside the "if block". */

return i;  /* as the log just above, i in here is the same i declared in the start of 
this function, the value has not changed. */
}
/*-----------------------function scope------------------------*/

let test = checkScope();
console.log(test)

I hope it’s good for you to have an idea of the difference, but I’m sure you already understood it, considering what you said in your second post.

1 Like