Completed the Weather App takehome project :)

Well, I wanted to put this where someone might enjoy it… sharing this with family and friends I just get “whats the big deal, I have a weather app on my phone”, haha.

I’m not completely happy with the visual layout, but figure my time might be better spent starting the next course or project rather than spending a few more days tweeking margin widths, font styles, and colors. If there is any blaring “oh, you should never do that” or “oh, its so much better to do this” items in the code, please let me know.

FEATURES:
-Browser geolocation to get initial location
-Clickable F/C button for instant conversion, selection saved for next session
-Wind indicator graphic
-Search bar for getting weather from other locations (can search by city, state)
-Tab bar to store up to 5 recent searches
-Tabs are saved in local storage and restored on next visit
-Tabs can be deleted by clicking ‘x’
-Rainviewer animated weather map (not the best choice, but easy to implement)

This looks great - well done!

One little glitch - if I do a few successive searches for different locations, I’m sometimes seeing NaN mph for the wind gust value.
It looks as if the wind gust data is occasionally missing from the weather data.

Maybe you could handle that by displaying some sort of “not available” message?

1 Like

KittyMac, thanks… I actually noticed that, and almost put an inline if, but figured the lay person would get the meaning… but since I was called out on it, haha:)

Now a non-existant gust should show: " – mph ". Definitely an improvement, thanks again.

Oops - sorry about that !

Seriously though, I think you did a great job.
I just finished the React part of the course - by the time I’d finished React and Redux I was feeling a bit shell-shocked!

So, I’m pretty impressed by your Weather App. :smile:

1 Like

After I finished most of the code on this app it occurred to me I might have missed an opportunity by not doing it with REACT instead… it would have been interesting, but I’m not about to re-write it, lol.

You’ve got something that’s working nicely - no reason to change it.

And the wind gust speed looks a lot better now, thanks for changing that.

1 Like

Wow, thanks for that indepth look, all really great points for me to focus on… yeah, while writing just to get it working I revert to base level messy coding, but never really cleaned it up afterward… Definitely looks better with the Template Literals (which I had completely forgot about) and declaring the constants. I think most of my let declarations are due to the logic that the values would need to change everytime someone enters a new location, but I guess as the scope of those variables are in the function, they aren’t being changed, their being re-declared, so yeah, should have used const.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.