Computer processors

I have a 3ghz processor, so is my processor more powerful than the macbook pro?

I use a dell optiplex 7040

My computer specs :-

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-in/optiplex-7040-desktop/opti7040_sff_om/specifiche?guid=guid-f058d593-d332-479e-9d55-6c6031fa6cba

I believe you can find the answer with quick google check

I expected an answer.

Well, you didn’t do a very good job giving us context. Just sayin’

It’s not that easy to tell which processor is better than the other, because they have varying cores and mobile chips are slower than desktop chips. Also, depending on the application, the graphics card (or lack of) might make a bigger impact on your experience, not to mention whether you have a SSD or HHD and, of course, RAM. I recently bought a computer and I spent a loooong time reading articles and charts trying to figure out how much of a CPU I needed.

Yes I know it is very hard. But could you tell me what it is

For what purpose? Why does it matter? As stated in the previous answer, it’s not a good question. It depends on a host of other factors so :man_shrugging:t3:. You’ve provided no information (which MBP? Which model? Which year? Which chipset? What turbo boost? What cache size? Why does it matter at all? What 3GHz processor? What does it boost to? What cache size?).

There are multiple versions of macbook pros, there isn’t just one. You can split them up into different generations, with the first gen being released in 2006, and the latest (5th gen) being released 2019. Along with this each generation has different specs for different models within a given generation. Allowing people to pay more for better specs.

With all that considering you might be comparing apples to oranges.

Macbook pros have always been higher end performance machines, but with the first generation being over 15 years old, and a laptop, means your Optiplex 7040 probably will outperform it in most tasks. Along with this your machine should be newer than the 1st gen Macbooks, so it should have newer, better software. However the latest high end speced Macbook Pro will outperform most machines, along with cost a good hunk of change.

Regardless, comparing a Macbook Pro to a Dell desktop falls apart rather quickly since one is mobile, one isn’t, and they don’t have the same OS/Software.

I think its rather unclear what your asking beyond “is my processor is more powerful than Macbook pro”. The simple answer (which I gave above) is it depends on which Macbook Pro your comparing against.

This sort of question usually is part of a bigger question that may or may not matter much. For example, 3ghz might not be faster than a 2ghz processor in practice if the 2ghz is overclocked, or has multiple threads, or other “tricks” to make it perform faster. “Faster” by itself depends on what your doing. Playing a game taxes your CPU differently than compiling code, where a GPU matters.

If your asking because you want to upgrade, or just want to know how “good” your machine is, or some other reason, I’d consider providing more details about what you really want to know.
Getting more detailed answers usually starts with asking more detailed questions.

By that I mean, “Yes I know it is complicated, but can you explain it to me?”

Alright!
I wanted to know what are the other things that come into play?Or
What are those

used by a computer?

Yes what’re those factors.

Can you please provide some information about what you’re asking.

As other posters have said, it depends. And as has been asked several times, which MacBook. There have been many models of that laptop over many years, all with different specs.

And you need to actually say what you mean by “more powerful” – I realise you think this is a simple question, but “more powerful” doesn’t mean anything.

The processor speed doesn’t tell you how powerful it is. I can buy a 10-year-old quad-core i5 CPU with that speed for about £5 off eBay. That CPU would definitely not be considered more powerful than the 2Ghz processor in my laptop.

Afaics your computer is an ~2016 model desktop made with off-the-shelf parts and designed for business use, with a sixth-generation processor.

The issue with what you’re asking is that the CPU speed (which is not just that number, it depends on the generation, how it was manufactured, what architecture it uses) is important, but the CPU just processes instructions, and they’ve been very very fast for quite a while now. It’s how fast those instructions can get to the CPU (or more specifically the collection of CPUs)

Ok! I’ve edited the post. You can check my specs there.

Thank you, but again, that still doesn’t really cover an awful lot.

What are you comparing it to? A MBP isn’t a single laptop, it’s the name of a range of laptops that have been sold for the last 15 years. Even for a single year there are multiple models.

Yours is a ~4 year old desktop made with off-the-shelf components, designed for business (for example say you have some call centres, so you buy several thousand of those computers). Because it’s aimed at business, as a rule of thumb it’s going to normally more performant for certain tasks than consumer laptops (graphics are not normally particularly important but running office software is) and is built in such a way that parts can normally be very easily upgraded or replaced. But the parts are not likely to be as high quality (or at least as well integrated with each other)

If you compare it to a 2016 MBP, as close in specs as possible, then sure, possibly more performant on average. It’s a desktop and a MBP is a laptop. Compare it to a 2020 MBP? Probably not for some things, other things :man_shrugging:t3:

It depends on what you’re doing, so once again why are you trying to compare them?

1 Like