Confused as a Self-Learner

Hi guys, I started my programming life as a game developer with Lua and then moved onto C# later to work using Unity. Although I managed to finish 2 of my own game projects, I feel like I didn’t learn programming the correct way. Or more precisely, I learnt how to code using C# but not how to program.

As a Result of trying to find a solution and make my self a good programmer I’ve come here and joined this awesome programe. But I am still confused with the names of these curriculums and what I have to learn here compared to what I’ve learnt already.

So, in my perspective as a game developer I see programming as a way of making something and object do something by making a system that guide it using logic, senses and etc. But it seems there is more to a programmer than that.

What I need help with it, can someone explain to me who will I become by following this awesome course, what is the ultimate result? What kind of skills? will following this course help me in game development too or just web development? I’ve heard that software like Computer games and applications is made using programming languages like C, C++, C# etc but (Maybe I’ve not researched enough) I saw more html, css, java, python in the course.

To be honest I’m really confused, can someone help me out. I’ve been a game developer who did all the coding, graphic, story, audio things by himself and I’m self-thought. What I want to become is someone who can do anything related to this machines. Be web, be machine learning, AI, game Dev, software anything. I want to become a good programmer. Will I achieve this goal? and (Forgive me if I’m being an idiot, still 17 yrs old) what kinds of things will I be thought by different parts of this course?

Thank you

• this is solid, you can work on that by improving your “data structures, algorithm” skills
  • knowing how to program is a more generic thing which can be used across all coding languages

happy learning and happy coding :slight_smile:

1. Purchase the book [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAPqqG_zj68&ab_channel=ProductivityGame](HOW TO STOP WORRYING AND START LIVING by Dale Carnegie | Core Message )

2. I’m 44 year old working on React, React Native based projects atm. But if I get a chance to turn back 22, then will surely work on “Tesla AI projects”

After few years / decades, you may find coding boring want to switch into management, product guy or CTO role like majority did in last past few decades.

Very few are like core hands on coding into principal engineering role.

Choosing a career in IT is like “Arranged Marriage” in India; you need to find best things in your spouse and keep loving, be happy for rest of your life :wink:

All the very best.

@ Kavee did you read last week’s big tech news which is Sam Altman wants to raise $7 trillion for his AI chip project.

Per me, Chip Industry is going to be next Crude Oil Industry for rest of this century. You should consider career in that industry as well.

Do read Techcrunch, Y Combinator ( linkedin newsfeed ) every day to know latest and hottest things in tech industry

Hi guys, I started my programming life as a game developer with Lua and then moved onto C# later to work using Unity. Although I managed to finish 2 of my own game projects, I feel like I didn’t learn programming the correct way. Or more precisely, I learnt how to code using C# but not how to program.

As a Result of trying to find a solution and make my self a good programmer I’ve come here and joined this awesome programe. But I am still confused with the names of these curriculums and what I have to learn here compared to what I’ve learnt already.

So, in my perspective as a game developer I see programming as a way of making something and object do something by making a system that guide it using logic, senses and etc. But it seems there is more to a programmer than that.

What I need help with it, can someone explain to me who will I become by following this awesome course, what is the ultimate result? What kind of skills? will following this course help me in game development too or just web development? I’ve heard that software like Computer games and applications is made using programming languages like C, C++, C# etc but (Maybe I’ve not researched enough) I saw more html, css, java, python in the course.

To be honest I’m really confused, can someone help me out. I’ve been a game developer who did all the coding, graphic, story, audio things by himself and I’m self-thought. What I want to become is someone who can do anything related to this machines. Be web, be machine learning, AI, game Dev, software anything. I want to become a good programmer. Will I achieve this goal? and (Forgive me if I’m being an idiot, still 17 yrs old) what kinds of things will I be thought by different parts of this course?

Thank you

Welcome to the forum!

First you will need to decide what field you would like to work in. Forget about being good at everything web and software development has to offer. You would need to be a computer yourself to achieve this.

I’m dabbling in two fields, web development and machine learning, and that’s already too much actually. It results in some 12 hour work days (job and private projects) to keep up, but I burn for both topics and accept the sacrifice.

fCC’s focus is on web development, some machine learning and data science with Python on the side. It’s one of the best online places to learn HTML/CSS for example.

Here’s a great link with different developer paths that you can use for orientation:

By the way you are not an idiot at all. I hope you can keep that fire for what you want to achieve burning :+1:!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your quick response.
I really appreciate the roadmap link you shared, its really helpful to get an understanding.

Mate, my initial idea was to become a game developer, but now my intentions are moving towards being a programmer. By this I mean who can work in any of these fields by learning the required language. (C,C++,C# for gaming / html,css,Js for web/ etc) oe the tools? Will I be able to get the required skills ( how to design any program, how to make algorithms or those kinds of things), experience, knowledge and the personality. Will this course train me with those? would you advice me to follow this course with more web and some python if I told you that I want to become a programmer?

Another important question I have is, should I totally rely on this course or should I do other courses along side like Learn C++, Game development, etc.

Is C++ or C a good language to start with?

C is the basis of most other languges, you can achieve almost everything with it. You will need a goal first however.

Let’s break this down in single steps, like a programmer does:

• Take some time and study the different developer career paths.
  • Choose the one that you like the most and plan your education and career.
  • If it is web development, Free Code Camp will be a great source for the first steps.

Regarding personality: You are already thinking like a programmer. You realized there’s problem, so you came to us to find a solution. There isn’t much more to our magical job, honestly!

1 Like

Thank you mate, I’ll share what I will end up with after doing some more research. You helped a lot :heart:

Please do not create the same thread in multiple topics. I have combined your two threads.

My Bad, sorry about that