Confused with my HTML-CSS progress

Good day to you all,

I have been engaged with the HTML/CSS curriculum for quite some time now and at this time am at the stage of building the skyscrapers. Right now I can follow the step by step instructions very quickly and can complete each step just as fast. My concern arises with the fact that during certification projects I have a rather big issue with CSS use. Despite the fact that I understand pretty well what I am supposed to write ( since there are instructions in front of me) during the lessons, that same thing does not apply when it comes to formatting something myself. And this makes me worried regarding my progress. By the way my goal is to finish with HTML and CSS and proceed to the curriculums that follow and teach other programming languages which interest me more. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Best Regards

1 Like

Are you concerned that you can’t write CSS very well on your own outside of the tutorials? I’m just trying to understand you a little more clearly.

1 Like

Yes that is correct. There are just too many parameters involved in CSS and I can’t keep up with them. For example in the technical documentation phase I found it very hard to think of any formating for my html code, apart from the absolute basics

1 Like

There’s a lot of ways to manipulate with CSS. There’s nothing wrong with looking up how to do something, because there’s just no way to memorize everything in the beginning. I remember when I did that project, I looked at how the example site wrote their code and I googled a lot of “how to do X-Y-Z with CSS.” Once you figure out how to write something on your own outside of a tutorial, it seems that you’ll remember it better. You’ll learn certain things like “text-align: center” just through repetition. But how to do media queries? I kept having to go back to other sites and past lessons over and over. My advice would be to stick with it and don’t be afraid to look up how to do stuff (or even how other people wrote it using the right-click → inspect). Knowing how to find an answer to something you don’t know is still better than not knowing an answer at all. :ok_hand:
And of course, if you can practice on your own, that’s good too.
hopefully that answers your concerns!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.